Here is a great opportunity to bring gifts, smiles, positive energy and Christmas spirit to thousands of children from Bangkok's slum communities.
On Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th December, we'll go to different slum communities to deliver Christmas gifts to underprivileged children.
How does it work? We'll all meet at Centralworld, outside under the big Christmas tree, at 9am. We'll be divided into small teams. Each team will have a team leader (who will have received all the necessary instructions) and a Santa Claus, whose objective will be to dress up :) and distribute the gifts (donated) to the kids. The other team members will help carrying the gifts, taking pictures, spending time with the kids and so on. Each team will be given a map with specific communities to target and will head up there following the team leader instructions.
It's not only about delivering gifts but also spending time with the kids. So we'll have activities, games, songs and many others.
This year is the second year we're doing this event. Last year was on the 24th-25th December and I can say without any hesitation that it's been the most meaningful Christmas ever for me. It was pretty hard sometimes to see so many kids living in such conditions, especially that these people had then been through very hard times with the flood. But we all rediscovered the meaning of "giving" and Christmas spirit took all its sense there.
Better than words, watch this slideshow:
How to participate?
1. Volunteer : We need people, we need hands and energy to reach as many kids as possible. The number of kids we'll deliver gifts will entirely depends on how many people we can gather these days. You can join one day or both if you're free. And if you can't, please spread the word to all those you think who could be interested!
2. Donate or organize collects : You can't join but you would like to participate? You can donate gifts that will be distributed on the event day, or you can donate money and the organizing team will go to buy gifts a few days before. Money can be donated by cash only.
You work in a company or a university and you think people there would be glad to donate gifts for such an event? Feel free to organize a collect at your office. If you decide to do so, please contact me to let me know which company/university/school you're targeting. I won't be able to help you collecting the gifts, as I organize myself several collects already but I'm always here to reply to any questions.
3. Spread the word!! Here is a link to download the official poster: http://www.sendspace.com/file/n5ximl Feel free to share and put it up anywhere you think it could have an impact (supermarkets, schools, universities etc.)
If you have facebook, here is the corresponding page: https://www.facebook.com/SantaCauseBangkok and you can also click attend on the events.
How to bring the gifts?
If you can join the event and bring the gifts by yourself it's the best. But if you can't join, or if you have way too many gifts to bring it by yourself (which would be awesome :D), two options:
- You can bring them along next week on the 8th December when we'll have our monthly networking meetup, then we'll take care of bringing them to Centralworld, where we have a storage room.
- You can bring them yourself to Centralworld before the event, or we can help you to pick them and go there with you, but in both case please contact us in advance to set up a day and time for an appointment.
Details regarding the gifts:
Please wrap the gifts as much as possible. There will be wrapping sessions from the 11th to 13th December at Centralworld for all the gifts who couldn't be wrapped before. But keep in mind that if you can wrap them in advance it would save us a lot of time.
Please write on the gift if it is for a boy or a girl (or both) and the age range, with a short description of the gift (pens, ball, doll, notebook, whatever).
Together, let's make this Christmas an unforgettable one.
Celilu & Geraldine
This event is an initiative of bangkokvanguards. More informations on the event here : http://bangkokvanguards.com/santa-cause-2012/