Barefoot Runners NYC Message Board › new to barefoot running

new to barefoot running

eilmcg
eilmcg
Glen Ridge, NJ
Post #: 1
i am nervous about starting BF running and was looking for a clinic or workshop for beginners. i have been reading all the books and feel completely overwhelmed by the details about form. feels like i have no idea how to pick up my feet and land - who knew the simple act of running could be so complicated! i just thought if i could see it and have some one show me, i could then ease into the feel of it.

i used to be a runner, about 25 miles/week for 10 years. for various reasons, including aches, pains and injuries, i stopped. now about 7 or so years later i wanted to try again. i am 20 pounds heavier so each step is that much more of an impact. within 3 weeks of just a few short runs (a mile or so), i completely messed up my knee. i have never had knee problems before. now i have all the classic symptoms of "runner's knee!" so, i thought i would try barefoot to see if i can avoid injuries. i am barefoot lots - almost never where shoes inside and i am a yoga teacher, so my feet get a work out regularly. actually, i have always hated shoes, so the barefoot running thing makes sense to me.

i am ready to ditch the shoes and start slow. problem now is that my knee hurts still. i suppose i should wait until there is absolutely no discomfort in my knee? i don't want to wait! and i would really like a clinic or just someone to show me.

sorry for the long post but i sure would appreciate any guidance!

thanks,
eileen
Kaleena C.
user 13885267
Kew Gardens, NY
Post #: 4
Add one more person as down for the idea of a short workshop or clinic. I'm new to barefoot running and learned how to fix it a bit (awesome MovNat 1-day workshop in Philly recently). Not fully confident in my strides/technique yet so I would love if a more experienced BF runner would offer to have a little show-and-tell. Thanks :)
A former member
Post #: 1
Would love to be part of a Beginners clinic. Sign me up!
Nathan M.
user 13199911
Arlington, VA
Post #: 2
John Durant, the organizer of this group (among other things), is putting on the second annual New York Barefoot Run (http://www.nycbarefoo...­) end of September. It's an entire weekend devoted to barefoot running clinics and animal mayhem. It would be important for beginners to attend the clinics on Saturday of that weekend with Barefoot Ted, Jason Robillard, Mark Sandler, etc. I can imagine that this year Central Park is going to be full of barefoot runners. Also, the Sunday run is not a race - it's a run as much as you want - so hang back, take your time, have some snacks, or a beer, and learn the thing properly.
A former member
Post #: 2
Cool! Can't wait!
Ludovic
ludo
Portland, OR
Post #: 27
IMO, it's more about feeling than thinking.
Everyone runs BF differently.
Check out this advice (along with his recommendation #1):
http://www.maplegrovebarefootguy.com/2011/08/mgbg-form-tip-2-skipping-zee-rope-only.html­
EliZaBeth!
user 9991322
New York, NY
Post #: 59
Not sure if it's appropiate to post this... but if any of you is interested in learning proper barefoot technique, I do 1x1 sessions... Here is my website with some info, but feel free to let me know if questions!