addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Barefoot Runners NYC Message Board › Minimalist boots

Minimalist boots

Eileen M.
eilmcg
Missoula, MT
Post #: 2
What do people do in the snow? I have been surfing around and haven't found anything that would work for me. Last winter was my first barefoot winter, so I got away with vff and softstar runamoc. i would prefer not to spend $225 but was looking at the softstar phoenix boots. anyone have these? i am not as worried about warmth as i am about water proof - how do these hold up in snow and wet yuckiness? thanks!
D D.
D____
New York, NY
Post #: 5
My first minimalist winter boots were the vivobarefoot Dundan boots. They are thin and super comfy (and look great!) and while not super warm, they got me thru two NY winters with merino wool socks. The bottoms are flat, so no traction to speak of, and they weren't waterproof cuz of the seems and zipper. Not sure if they're even making these anymore, tho but they might have more options by now.

Since last winter i've been using the vivobarefoot Off-Road Hi hiking boots for general wet and snowy weather. Not strictly billed as a winter boot, but it's waterproof and i wanted something i could hike in all year round. So far really liking them. There hasn't been much snow to run them thru their winter paces, but they've handled what snow they've encountered quite well. Thicker leather and much more traction than on the dundans. Obviously less ground feel tho, cuz the souls are thicker and have the lugs on them. But it's still a pretty flexible and very cozy shoe.

For winter running i'm hooked on my zem gear booties (i have both the 360 and Terras). So far i've gotten by with the ninja toe versions without socks. But i haven't used them in actual snow, cuz they're not waterproof at all and i absolutely hate having cold feet. For that i might try the round toe version with socks... But they're generally pretty warm as long as you're moving.

Would love to know what you end up with. Always looking for new ideas...