align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Barefoot Runners NYC Message Board › running "barefoot" in nyc... freezy brooklyn bridge runs

running "barefoot" in nyc... freezy brooklyn bridge runs

A former member
Post #: 1
it's cold out, but that doesn't mean you can't attempt some type of barefoot or minimal shoe running. nyc at midnight or 5 am or just any time is a fantastic for a quick run, i like the brooklyn bridge and back.

i use a pair of vibram kso flows, they're meant for water and cold weather running. they cover most of the foot from the ankle down and are made of neoprene - specs are on their site, 2mm sole. for these types of shoes (the five fingers) it's really a good idea to try them on in a store. it's also a good idea to read running sites that review these for tips, if you haven't run barefoot it might take awhile to adjust to it - but once you do, it's hard to imagine wearing a giant SUV shoe ever again.

for socks, and if the vffs are sized correctly - you can add toe socks.

i am currently using the injinji ex-cellerator compression socks. with this combo, it's as barefoot as it seems possible when it's 17 degrees out or less.

for clothing, lots of layers. there are tons of resources for cold weather running. everyone in nyc is busy, so i log my runs with an iphone. if you use an iphone you can join a "street team" with runkeeper, feel free to add me -

i'm here..
http://runkeeper.com/user/ptorrone

new york city is the best city in the world, you can plan a run to a farmer's market - run a few miles there and back, pick up some great meat and vegs. or if running isn't your thing (yet) - walk just about anywhere to get some of the best food on the planet. it's not cheap to be in nyc, you need to work 24/7 to make it work, it's harsh, it's cold, it tests you everyday - i love it :)

cheers,
pt