addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Barefoot Runners NYC Message Board › Another race, another win

Another race, another win

Melissa B.
melbybee
New York, NY
Post #: 5
I participated in the NYC Aquathlon today, a tune-up for the NYC tri. 1mile swim/5K run. I placed 1st in the W40-49 age group and something like (I need to look at the official results) 16th woman overall. I think my time was 55:17. Not too shabby. Several hundred people participated in the race, so the swim start was the usual football game. Several ran in Vibrams, but I think I was the only true barefooter. Could use some speedwork over the coming year. I have not yet figured out how to put the hammer down in these races. Some of this may relate to unresolved issues in my form. I'm really slow at downhill running, although David, the structural integration guru in our group, gave me some good tips this past Wednesday about posture and driving the knees forward, which i thought about a lot today. Some may have something to do with the fact that this is only my third barefoot race. And some may have to do with uncertainty about the size of the envelope - I'm not sure how big it is, and therefore, am very uncertain about what pushing it feels like - anything beyond a brisk, relaxed shuffle feels like pushing it at this stage. There is so much more to explore in this adventure, which is exciting. BTW, my feet felt great post-run and generated a respectable amount of fun curiosity and respect.
John D.
user 5767924
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 14
That's awesome, Melissa -- thanks for posting.

I'm going to get one of David's workouts on the books.