Baton Rouge Board and Card Gamers Message Board › So We All Play Board Games, Right?

So We All Play Board Games, Right?

J S C.
JSCervini
Baton Rouge, LA
Post #: 9
But have you ever had an idea to MAKE a board game?
Alex
zohra10
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 47
Not a board game, but I did work on a sci fi RPG for a while. :-)
Nikki
Gleebolzorch
Zachary, LA
Post #: 2
Yes but I was 8 and the rules changed whenever I was losing. Does that count?
J S C.
JSCervini
Baton Rouge, LA
Post #: 10
@Alex: Yeah, I try to make an RPG system once in a while. And it doesn't work, heh.

@Nikki: Yes, that counts. Sometimes the best versions of a game come from situations like that.
Alex
zohra10
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 48
Lol Nikki
Michael
user 9880598
Baton Rouge, LA
Post #: 2
About 20 years ago I had designed and was in the play-testing phases of a table top war-game style american rules football game. It was played with miniatures to scale on a table-top football field. I spent a lot of time on the rules and design, but dropped the idea after the play-tests showed a huge design flaw. Turns out, it took many hours to play a full game and there were too many rules. I couldn't find a way to simplify it enough to meet some of my design goals and still make it fun to play. I likely had more fun designing it than anything. smile
J S C.
JSCervini
Baton Rouge, LA
Post #: 11
@Michael: Heh, still working on some ideas myself. And I know what you're talking about with the rules - as much as you want to account for every situation, every possibility, you'll run into a lot of downtime if you pile on too many rules. For the ideas I'm working on, I'm trying to simplify wherever I can, although it seems that there is still a good deal of math involved, heh heh.
Alex
zohra10
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 52
I've played a lot more different games since working on one. It's opened my eyes to the serious flaws in my friend's combat design. Just too complicated. :p
J S C.
JSCervini
Baton Rouge, LA
Post #: 12
@Alex: Yeah. I'm starting to have a feeling that my own system that I'm working on will end up being too complicated as well. We'll see when I bring it to playtest. :)