addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Baton Rouge Board and Card Gamers Message Board › Looking for other times and locations to play? I'm available 2x a week!

Looking for other times and locations to play? I'm available 2x a week!

Ken C.
user 12563178
Baton Rouge, LA
Post #: 1
Hi all, I just joined this group a few mins ago and I was reading through some of the past messages on this message board and saw that there are a lot of people here who enjoys playing card games and board games just as I do and may be looking for others to play with. Well I'm available! Just last Wednesday I played Saboteur and Slide 5 with some friends, on Friday I played Pentago and Slide 5 before I went to Art Melt downtown, Saturday I played Ken's Ultimate Uno, Bang! (with expansion pack for 8 people), Saboteur, No thanks! in the afternoon and Rummikub and Run Wild late at night at La Madeline's. Yesterday I played more Rummikub with friends at Starbucks. So obviously I love games and people around me no longer get bored anymore!

I ran into this group about two months ago when y'all were playing Killer Bunnies and Munchkins at Coffee Call, and I happened to find this group on meetup.com a month later! I do hope to join you all very soon!

Here are some of the games I've played or own which I just posted on Facebook last week hoping to promote my own group which has been pretty unsuccessful because sometimes only 2-3 people show up to play during the past several months. Anyways we gather at Border's almost every Friday from 8pm-11pm @ Border's Bookstore in the Cafe and recently I've been playing with a small group of people at B&N from 9pm-11pm @ CitiPlace on Wednesdays.

Here are a list of games I own and played before:

Some of the games we play include card games such as:
Spades: Spades are trumps- Trick taking game for 4 players
Hearts: Trick Taking games where you avoid getting points for 4 players
Sh*thead: Popular shedding type game- Don't be the last player! 4+ players
Big Two or Tien Len- Chinese rules or Vietnamese rules poker for 4 players
Canasta- South American Melding game w/ 4 players
Wizards- The Ultimate Game of Trump w/ 4+ players
No Thanks!- Pass a card, toss a chip. Least points at end wins. 3-5
Slide 5- Game of luck and strategy, least points wins- 2+
Mille Bornes- French card game- Be on the Team to reach 1000 miles for 4 players
Ken's Ultimate Uno- My Crazy House rules 4-10 people
Fluxx 4.0- The game of ever changing rules (2-6 people)
5 Crowns- Rummy type game with 5 suits, be to first to go out after 11 rounds (4-7)
Parlay- Combine words and poker, see who gets the best hand! 3-6 players
Quibbler- Build words from letters in 8 rounds, most point wins. 4-8 players
Munchkins- Kill the Monsters, steal the treasure, stab your buddies 4-6
Munchkins Fu- Munchkins with an Asian Movie theme
Seven-Ate-Nine- Fast paced game where addition and subtraction matters for 2-4
Run Wild- Rummy type game like Rummikub but faster! 2-4 people

Killer Bunnies & the Quest for the magical carrot remix- Crazy card game 2-8 ppl
Scattergories the Card Game- 2+ people
Monopoly Deal- Collect three complete sets of properties and win! 2-5
Yahtzee Hands-Down- Yahtzee dice game on cards for 2-5
Bang!- Spaghetti Western game for 3-8 people with Dodge City Expansion Pack
Saboteur- Dig for Gold or Saboteur? 3-10 ppl
Man Eats Dog- Best headlines win points! 2+ ppl

Tile based games
Rummikub- Rummy type game with tiles 2-4 ppl
Carcassonne- Clever German tile laying game 2-5 ppl
Bananagrams- Build your own crosswords for 2-5 players

Strategy games
Stratego Reinvention- Capture the Flag for 2 players
Pentago- Five in a Row with a Twist for 2 players
Pente- A game of capture and five in a row for 2-4 players

Board Games
Sequence- 5 in a row on special poker board for 2-6 players
Pandemic- Cooperative team game vs. the board for 2-4 players

On it's way from Amazon.com-
Wizard of the Coast Guillotine- Collect the most# of nobels head's and win! 2+
Ca$h N Gun$- Shoot or bluff with foam guns, collect the most amount of $$ and stay alive!
Hive- Abstract strategy game with insects played like chess and dominoes for 2 players

I have Catan on my iPhone but I'm interested in playing the board game with others one day. I used to be terribly addicted (but very good!) to Words with Friends but I have weaned myself off and just playing every now and then.

I'm a local Acupuncturist so anyone here who may be interested in Acupuncture, Chinese Herbal Medicine, cupping or bodywork will receive 20% off if they belong to this group!

Ken Chow
chowacupuncture @ gmail.com
A former member
Post #: 70
First and foremost, welcome to the group. I hope that you enjoy it!

Second, I would be interested in perhaps incorporating your weekly games into our meetups, as we just started a Featured Game Meetup about every other week. Perhaps you would be interested in suggesting a game to be Featured for the first FGM for this August? Note that we already played Settlers of Catan last FGM, so perhaps something more like a party game or a classic game would be more appropriate.
A former member
Post #: 8
Welcome! I'll definitely be taking you up on that discount - look forward to meeting you!
I'm more of a scattergories and outburst kind of game player but would enjoy learning how to play some of those more classic games you mentioned. You should come to the meetup on the 7th and bring some of them!

Carrie
Ken C.
user 12563178
Baton Rouge, LA
Post #: 2
Hi all, I do plan on joining you all on the 7th of August. If we have a large group of people then Bang! will be a lot of fun because it can include up to 8 people. It's pretty easy to learn and a lot of fun to play. It incorporates elements of Mafia with cards. Everyone knows who the sheriff is but who are the deputies, outlaws or renegades?

Saboteur can have up 10 people and it's pretty entertaining as well.

As you can see I have no trivia games because I'm horrible at them, and I stink at humdingers and the other 1/4 categories of Cranium. Ask me anything about Alternative Medicine and I might be able to stay in the game! I don't have any real party games as you could imagine what a scene that would be at a bookstore where I usually play at. Plus my car trunk can only hold so much!

I've played Scattergories before which was quite fun but all three times were immediately following Christmas lunch (so I guess the drowsiness can also be simulated if I eat 3 orders of beignets). I've never played Outburst before, but after I wiki'ed it, it sounds kinda fun.

I'm always on the lookout for new fun games so so far Amazon, Boardgamegeek and Wikipedia has been my good friends... however I always go back to some of the games I think have good replay values!

Any of you could come find me at Border's this Friday! I just need a minimum of 4 people to play most card games, and in the past I have had up to 7 people but recently it's only just me and 2 others so it's been disappointing...

Ken

Ken C.
user 12563178
Baton Rouge, LA
Post #: 3
Updated game list that I usually carry with me:

Some of the games we play include card games such as:

Spades: Spades are trumps- Trick taking game for 4 players

Hearts: Trick Taking games where you avoid getting points for 4 players

Sh*thead: Popular shedding type game- Don't be last! 4+ players

Big Two or Tien Len- Chinese rules or Vietnamese rules poker for 4 players

Canasta- South American Melding game w/ 4 players

Wizards- The Ultimate Game of Trump w/ 4+ players

No Thanks!- Pass a card, toss a chip. Least points at end wins. 3-5

Slide 5- Game of luck and strategy, least points wins- 2+

Mille Bornes- French card game- Be on the Team to reach 1000 miles for 4 players

Ken's Ultimate Uno- My Crazy House rules 4-10 people

Fluxx 4.0- The game of ever changing rules (2-6 people)

5 Crowns- Rummy type game with 5 suits, be to first to go out after 11 rounds (4-7)

Parlay- Combine words and poker, see who gets the best hand! 3-6 players

Quibbler- Build words from letters in 8 rounds, most point wins. 4-8 players

Munchkins- Kill the Monsters, steal the treasure, stab your buddies 4-6

Munchkins Fu- Munchkins with an Asian Movie theme

Seven-Ate-Nine- Fast paced game where addition and subtraction matters for 2-4

Run Wild- Rummy type game like Rummikub but faster! 2-4 people

Super Circles- Match the same color rings as the previous card. Very quick game for 2-4 ppl

Wizard of the Coast Guillotine- Collect the most# of nobels head's and win! 2+

Killer Bunnies & the Quest for the magical carrot remix- Crazy card game 2-8 ppl

Scattergories the Card Game- 2+ people

Monopoly Deal- Collect three complete sets of properties and win! 2-5

Yahtzee Hands-Down- Yahtzee dice game on cards for 2-5

Bang!- Spaghetti Western game for 3-8 people with Dodge City Expansion Pack

Saboteur- Dig for Gold or Saboteur? 3-10 ppl

Man Eats Dog- Best headlines win points! 2+ ppl

Tichu- Awesome "climbing" type card game that is similar to Big Two involving two partnerships. 4-6 ppl

Shadow Hunters- A game involving specifc roles with specific goals similar to Bang! 4-8 ppl

CaSh N Gun'$- Win the game by becoming the richest gangster still alive after 8 rounds. Foam guns included! 4-6 ppl

Loot- The plundering pirate card game. 2-8 ppl

Citadels- Be the first to build 8 districts while choosing the identity of several characters. 2-8 ppl

Bohnanza- German card game that involves bean trading 3-7 ppl.

Tile based games

Rummikub- Rummy type game with tiles 2-4 ppl

Carcassonne- Clever German tile laying game 2-5 ppl

Bananagrams- Build your own crosswords for 2-5 players

Strategy games

Stratego Reinvention- Capture the Flag for 2 players

Pentago- Five in a Row with a Twist for 2 players

Pente- A game of capture and five in a row for 2-4 players

Hive- Abstract strategy game with insects played like chess and dominoes 2 players

Board Games

Sequence- 5 in a row on special poker board for 2-6 players

Pandemic- Cooperative team game vs. the board for 2-4 players

Gemlok- Bump other people's gems off, and lock your own gem into higher scoring positions in 10 rounds