align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Bay Area Atheists/Agnostics/Humanists/Freethinkers/Skeptics Message Board › Sam Harris: "The Fireplace Delusion"

Sam Harris: "The Fireplace Delusion"

Miltown H.
Vinny832
Pittsburg, CA
Post #: 61
http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the-fireplace-delusion­

Interesting analogy about religious beliefs . . . .
A former member
Post #: 24
I find it hard to believe that so many atheists gave such illogical arguments for burning firewood. Harris's argument makes perfect sense to me, and he did back it with documentation.

Someone in the atheist group here in Tucson complained that Harris was expecting us to just take him on his word. He was quite adamant about it, considering the references were listed right at the bottom of the page where one would expect them to be. It sounded to me as if this guy just didn't want to believe what Harris was saying and was pulling the ad hominem attack routine instead of using the forms of bad logic Harris described in the article. In effect, this guy was saying, "Sam Harris is an arrogant bastard, so I can continue to burn firewood in my back yard without concerning myself with whether I am poisoning my neighbor's children." Riiiiight.