Bay Area Atheists/Agnostics/Humanists/Freethinkers/Skeptics Message Board › Letter to City of Oakland -Demand to Remove 10 Commandments from Public Zoo

Letter to City of Oakland -Demand to Remove 10 Commandments from Public Zoo

Joey P.
JoeyPiscitelli
Martinez, CA
Post #: 1
I recently sent a written demand to the City of Oakland to remove the 6 foot high granite monument
- "The Ten Commandments", which is displayed on public property at the Snow Building on the City property, at the Oakland Public Zoo. This is the same Fraternal Order of Eagles 10 Commandments monument that is the focus of many lawsuits in America today.
This same monument was recently the subject of a prolonged lawsuit in Fargo, which made national headlines. The 8th Circuit District court in Minnesota last Friday decided in favor of the Freethinkers, and stated that they have the right to overturn the previous lower courts decision to favor the City of Fargo to rightfully display the monument, unopposed.

Anyone interested in the story, please contact me, as i will be doing press events to further the demand.
Joey Piscitelli- advocate for justice
925-262-3699

David D.
user 14112952
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 5
Thanks Joey Piscitelli, for this alert. I totally support the demand to remove The Ten Commandments from any public property in Oakland or any other public place.

You may add my name to the letter to the City of Oakland.

David Dresser
Berkley, CA
Meg
Nuttmeg
San Quentin, CA
Post #: 14
Is there a petition we can sign? I'd like to be kept informed on this.
Joey P.
JoeyPiscitelli
Martinez, CA
Post #: 2

I have not recieved a formal response from the City of Oakland, but I would like them to know that I am not alone in interpreting the phrase:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"

http://www.opednews.c...­

Joey Piscitelli
925-262-3699
A former member
Post #: 29
I had not idea this was there--right in my hometown! Thanks for pursuing this, Joey. Please keep us informed. Depending upon the response you get, I can pursue this with my City Council member.
Bob
Joey P.
JoeyPiscitelli
Martinez, CA
Post #: 3
Thanks Bob. A lot of people do not know that the City of Oakland displays only the ten commandments on the public skyline at the site of the Snow building. I have not heard back from the city yet, but the assembly woman for Oakland sent an e-mail to me saying she "would have someone look into it" - whatever that means.
If you want to copy my letter and send it into the city council and mayor, or send your own, I would appreciate it.
Again, thank you for the support for correcting 'the establishment clause" in Oakland.

joey