October 20, 2012 · 10:30 AM
This location is shown only to members
Totally last minute, but since I'm going, I'd love to have more join me!! This is a dog friendly trip! There will be two men joining us and three other women from my Sierra Club group...
Let's meet at the Carr Lake Trailhead this Saturday morning, Oct. 20 at 10:30 for a one nighter at beautiful Penner Lake. Or you can meet me in Dublin to caravan. Directions to the Carr Lake Trailhead are below. If you're interested in caravaning, I will send you my address :)
There are no fees and no permits necessary. You'll hike past a dozen glacial lakes! The first day should be about 5-6 miles with the option of returning the second day along the same route, or looping back on a 6-7 mile hike past more lakes.
Bring your swimsuit for days in the high 60's-low 70s. Have warm clothes for night. Beautiful stargazing and fishing opportunities for those interested :)
Directions to Carr Lake Trailhead From Dublin:
1. 680 N toward Sacramento (Partial toll road) - 25 miles
2. Merge onto I-680 N - 14 miles
3. Take exit 71A toward I-80 E Sacramento - .5 miles
4. Merge onto I-80 - 121 miles
5. Exit 161 to merge onto CA-20 E toward Nevada City/Grass Valley - 4.5 miles
6. Turn right onto Bowman Lake Rd - 7 miles
7. Slight left onto Bowman Lake Rd/Forest Route 18 - .3 miles
8. Take the first right to stay on Bowman Lake Rd/Forest Route 18 - 1 mile
9. Turn right toward/onto Forest Route 17 - 43miles (bumpy/dirt/gravel/rocky) This took about 20 minutes at 10 miles per hour in a van!!!!
1. Carr Lake Trailhead/parking lot
2. Start out on the Round Lake Trail to Island Lake - 1 mile (pass Carr Lake, Feeley Lake, Delaney Pond, and a few more pretty watering holes along the mile path).
3. Crooked Lakes Trail to Penner Lake - 3miles (pretty demanding) 7,000 ft elevation. Camp here. Good fishing.
From Penner Lake the trail climbs to a forested ridge and then descends to Upper Rock Lake.
4. Lake Trail to Grouse Ridge Trail - .5 miles
5. Grouse Ridge Trail to Round Lake Trail - 3.5 miles
6. Grouse Ridge Trail up to the Lookout - .5 miles and 1,000 ft gain (70% vertical!!!! Quite a walk - don't have to do!)
7. Round Lake Trail to Carr Lake Trailhead/Parking lot - 2.2miles
The distances here are estimates ;)