addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Bay Area Bookworms Book Club Message Board › Thank you! Also, a few notes and clarifications

Thank you! Also, a few notes and clarifications

Valerie F.
user 48528652
Group Organizer
Emeryville, CA
Hello Bookworms!

Wow, what a turnout! I actually expected that I would have trouble getting folks to join and participate in this Meetup - how wrong I was! Thank you all for joining - I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you in the near future.

Because this is the first time I've ever run a Meetup group, I may have to do some learning along the way; please be patient. For instance, although I tagged this group as a "book club" for "fiction" and "nonfiction", I didn't make that explicit in the "about" section (doh!); I've fixed that, and answered a few questions in the event discussions that resulted from my initial lack of clarity.

For those of you who haven't been following the discussions, I just want to stress that this club will provide a mix of both fiction and nonfiction books, and will not focus on any one genre. Many of you have expressed an interest in nonfiction, which we will certainly be reading, but not exclusively! I personally read a ton of nonfiction for work (social theory, ethnography, other empirical research), so I need a good dose of fiction to refresh my soul. That said, I am totally curious about nonfiction that I otherwise wouldn't encounter in my work. All of the discussions about Oliver Sacks sound interesting...

I want everyone to have a good time participating in this group (yay!), but if the fiction meetups that we'll have don't sound like they'll be your cup of tea, I wanted to make sure you can find some other fun spaces to participate in in addition to our group, so I did a little research and found 2 (ha, only 2!) exclusively nonfiction Meetups in the Bay Area. Looks like we need more book clubs in the Bay Area, but perhaps especially nonfiction:

http://www.meetup.com...­

-and-

http://www.meetup.com...­

Two more things - if you RSVP'd "yes" to an event and you have secured a place at the meeting, please be sure to check the location of our meeting 1 day before each event to make sure it hasn't changed. Part of my learning curve for organizing this is going to be finding places that are large enough to accommodate 20 people at a time, which requires a little scoping. This will get more stable as time goes on and I figure out regular spots for us. Of course, if you know of some good diners or cafes that could accommodate us, please share that info by sending me a private email - I'd appreciate it!

Finally, if you RSVP'd "yes" to an event and you are on the waiting list, please check the RSVP list the day before the event. It is likely that some folks' schedules may change, so you may get bumped up on the list. And if you can't make this one, of course, please join us next time. After our first meet 'n greet, I will be posting an online poll of 12 potential readings; once the poll is closed, I will post event listings for the next 3 months on the meetup site (more details to follow).

Woo, what a long email! It's a good thing you all like to read so much (wah, wah, waaah...). Anyhow, can't wait to start! This promises to be a very fun group. See you soon!

Cheers,

~Val