Bay Area Bookworms Book Club Message Board › Email me book nominations for April through June 2013 by 02/24/13!!

Email me book nominations for April through June 2013 by 02/24/13!!

Valerie F.
user 48528652
Group Organizer
Emeryville, CA
Hello Bookworms,

It's that time again!

If you would like to contribute to the Bay Area Bookworms reading list for April, May, and June, please send me a message through Meetup with up to (but no more than) 3 book nominations by Sunday, February 24th at 5:00pm. These books can be any genre (fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, thrillers, scifi, whatever you please...). Please include a short description of each book nomination in your email - spoiler-free summaries can often be found on amazon.com. If you do not include a summary, your book will definitely not be included for this quarter's vote, so please don't forget this! After nominations are in, I will select a diverse set of 12 books for the group to vote on - this simplifies the logistics of the vote, since with over 200 members, we could end up with 600+ book nominations (yikes). If your books aren't selected this time, or weren't selected last time, feel free to re-nominate during the next cycles of solicitation.

Also, *NOTE* - if any enormously long books win in the polls, I will simply split the book up into two separate months for reading, so please do not let the length of a book deter you from nominating, voting on, or reading it - the goal here is to read interesting stuff and chat about it, not to torture you with extra-long readings and short turnarounds.

I will send out a list of 12 titles and descriptions on the morning of Monday, February 25th when I announce that the Meetup poll for book selections is open. You will have a week to vote on book selections.

Alright Bookworms, start sending me your ideas! Looking forward to reading some new and interesting books with you.

Cheers,
~Val
Theresa D.
user 73328562
Oakland, CA
Post #: 1
Hi,

I'd like to nominate two books:

1. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (novel by Robin Sloane): Amazon describes this novel as "A gleeful and exhilarating tale of global conspiracy, complex code-breaking, high-tech data visualization, young love, rollicking adventure, and the secret to eternal life—mostly set in a hole-in-the-wall San Francisco bookstore."

Non-spoiler plot summary from Amazon: "The Great Recession has shuffled Clay Jannon out of his life as a San Francisco Web-design drone—and serendipity, sheer curiosity, and the ability to climb a ladder like a monkey has landed him a new gig working the night shift at Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore. But after just a few days on the job, Clay begins to realize that this store is even more curious than the name suggests. There are only a few customers, but they come in repeatedly and never seem to actually buy anything, instead “checking out” impossibly obscure volumes from strange corners of the store, all according to some elaborate, long-standing arrangement with the gnomic Mr. Penumbra. The store must be a front for something larger, Clay concludes, and soon he’s embarked on a complex analysis of the customers’ behavior and roped his friends into helping to figure out just what’s going on. But once they bring their findings to Mr. Penumbra, it turns out the secrets extend far outside the walls of the bookstore."

2. Room (novel by Emma Donoghue): Amazon's description: "Room is a tale at once shocking, riveting, exhilarating--a story of unconquerable love in harrowing circumstances, and of the diamond-hard bond between a mother and her child."

Non-spoiler plot summary from Amazon: To five-year-old-Jack, Room is the world. . . . It's where he was born, it's where he and his Ma eat and sleep and play and learn. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits.

Room is home to Jack, but to Ma it's the prison where she has been held for seven years. Through her fierce love for her son, she has created a life for him in this eleven-by-eleven-foot space. But with Jack's curiosity building alongside her own desperation, she knows that Room cannot contain either much longer.

Thanks for considering,
Theresa