Who knew? In the Yuba foothills are award‐winning wineries, world‐class olive oils, the smallest mountain range in the world, amazing orchards and some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. :)
I grew up here (that's the only reason I know) and it's high time you come explore the Yuba foothills - in style. You'll find a community of passionate artisans, expert winemakers and amazing chefs who know how enjoy life.
- Hike the stunning Sutter Buttes, the smallest mountain range in the world - they're characterized by Himalaya-like steep dramatic crags and California-style idyllic grassy hills
- Taste aware‐winning wines with the winemaker himself
- Overnight in beautiful country homes
- Savor a Chef’s Tasting Dinner featuring local artisan foods & wines, prepared exclusively for you!
- Visit an Italian stone olive press and sample the oil
- Scenic walk through hilltop vineyards and orchards
- Sutter Buttes or Table Mountain Nature Trek: 7 miles over rolling green hills
- Yuba River Hike: 5 miles through along the river. Stop by a favorite swimming hole for a frigid dunk (obviously optional!)
THE GOURMET FUN STUFF
- Wine tour and lakeside tasting with Renaissance Vineyard & Winery
- Discussion & tasting with winemakers Grant & Eddie
- Visit to Apollo Olive Oil’s stone Italian olive mill and oil sampling
FRIDAY: EVENING ARRIVAL
Welcome to Yuba! Drive up after work, and relax at an informal wine reception by the lake. Discuss the itinerary and watch the geese settle onto the water.
SATURDAY: BUTTES, WINE & OLIVE OIL
Guided Hike: Sutter Buttes or Table Mountain Nature Trek
6 miles • Moderate difficulty: rolling to mountainous terrain
Afternoon Tastings: Renaissance Vineyard, Apollo Olive Oil
Depending on the conditions we'll hike either the Sutter Buttes or Table Mountain this morning. The Sutter Buttes are called the "smallest mountain range in the world" and full of unique history, Maidu sites, geology and idyllic scenery. Table Mountain, an elevated basalt mesa with beautiful vistas of spring wildflowers, waterfalls, lava outcrops, and a rare type of vernal pool, was created by ancient lava flows. We'll enjoy a picnic lunch on grassy hill under the shade of the silvery oak trees. Pass around fresh-baked bread, artisan cheeses and local sun-ripened fruit. It doesn’t get much better than this!
In the afternoon, we'll shuttle to Renaissance Vineyard & Winery for a tour and a Reserve tasting of their award-winning wines. Then, a quick drive through the vineyards takes us to Apollo Olive Oil where Gianni is waiting to show us their Italian stone olive press and walk us through a tasting of their world-class blends. You’ll have some free time in the early evening to relax, stroll the hills or stock up on gourmet gifts at the Farm Store.
Then....dinner!!! Prepare for an amazing 4-course extravaganza of local delicacies, all expertly prepared lovingly by a talented (and passionate!) local chef. Think homemade cheeses, locally-raised meats, organic garden veggies, wild greens and more. From appetizer to dessert you’ll get a true feeling of what north Yuba has to offer.
SUNDAY: YUBA RIVER GORGE & BEER
Guided Hike: Yuba River
5 miles • Easy to moderate difficulty: flat, but sometimes uneven rocky terrain
Afternoon Tastings: Township Valley Beer, Grant & Eddie
Today we’ll hike through shady pine forest and over sunny stones to the Yuba river. We’ll take you to our favorite swimming spot, and leap into the frigid mountain waters if you dare! Then we’ll stop by a beautiful orchard and vineyard for a beautiful meal at the farmhouse and a discussion and wine tasting lead by Grant & Eddie wines. Once you've returned to reality, prepare to start reeling again, we'll visit Township Valley Beer for a tasting of their homemade brews made from organic hops grown in the garden. :)
We got an amazing deal on dinner, and two of the tastings (though they wouldn't budge on the hike cost) based on a min number of participants. Normally, doing all these events would either a) not be possible because our hosts are real farmers/craftsmen and don't always have time to entertain, or b) would come out to be much more expensive. However, if 6 people come, we can do 6 gourmet meals, 4 tastings, 2 nights lodging and 1 guided hike for...$284/person in double room .
This includes virtually everything:
- 2 breakfasts
- 2 gourmet picnic lunches
- 1 wine-reception ($45 value)
- 1 amazing 4-course chef's tasting dinner ($75 value)
3 WINE TASTINGS, 1 OLIVE OIL TASTING
- 1 Wine tour and lakeside tasting with Renaissance Vineyard & Winery ($32 value)
- 1 Reserve tasting with Lucero
- 1 Discussion & tasting with winemakers Grant & Eddie ($45 value)
- Tour & tasting at Apollo Olive Oil
2 GUIDED HIKES
- Table Mountain or Sutter Buttes (these mountains are not open to the public and can only be seen exclusively by private arrangement with professor guides) ($45 value)
- Yuba River Rocks
2 NIGHTS ACCOMMODATION IN LOVELY B&B's ($165 value)
If you can't do the listed price, you could try and find your own accommodations, but the closest hotel is about 60 miles away and you'd miss out on a breakfast of fresh croissants delivered to your door every morning and the sweetness of your rural hosts.