This month we're going to do something a little different. I have uploaded six photos to this link here:
Here's where you come in:
1. You download the photos.
2. You pick one (or more - all six if you wish) of the photos and do whatever you like to it in the Develop module in Lightroom.
3. You press cmd/ctrl-S to save metadata (including Develop module settings) to the file.
4. You rename the file with your name so I know who it came from.
5. You upload the photo to a public Dropbox folder, or YouSendIt, or a similar service, and send me the link.
At the user group meeting we'll have a little a slideshow of all the variations that everyone submitted, and then we'll talk about the differences between them, and we'll analyze what different people have chosen to do with the photos in Lightroom. This will let us see just how much variation is possible with any one photo, and it will also provide us with a good platform for talking about different Develop module features and techniques.
We'll pass a microphone through the group, and if you wish, you can say a few words about what you were thinking when you developed your photo. I know some people would prefer not to speak in front of a group, so this part is totally optional! You're free to submit a developed photo, but not talk about it if you'd prefer.
If you wish to submit a developed photo, you must send me the download link by 8:00 AM the day of the meetup (Thursday, May 23rd). And hey, please submit a photo! Not to point out the obvious, but if no one submits, we won't have much to talk about. :-)
A few do's and don'ts:
1. Please submit only one (or more) of the photos that I provided (not one of your own photos). Part of what will be cool about this meeting is seeing what different people do with the same photo, so I want us all to be working with the same set of photos.
2. I took these photos, so please don't distribute them, or use them for anything other than this meeting.
3. Don't worry about my ego. You're free to say, "This photo pretty much sucked, so here's what I did in Lightroom to try to redeem it." Indeed, I have deliberately included some photos that could use some serious help. :-)
The usual fine print:
If you're new to Lightroom, you might benefit from watching the recording of my "Intro to Lightroom" presentation before attending this meetup. You can watch the recording here: http://tinyurl.com/bah4m5q
We'll have some pizza and socializing from 6:30 to 7:00, and we'll start the presentation itself at 7:00.
Limited parking is available in the Adobe garage. Also, there's no Giants game that night, so street parking should be easy.
Lastly, this time I am asking everyone to please submit your name when you RSVP. I haven't used this Meetup feature before, so I hope I've got it right. Please submit your full first and last name, because we'll use them for the name tags. This way we can have name tags ready for everyone before you all arrive. Thanks!
Hope to see you all there!