PHOTOSHOP AND THE "CREATIVE CLOUD" AND WHAT THE BIG CHANGES MEAN FOR YOU!
As many of you already know, Adobe has announced some major changes to programs in their Creative Suite which includes the program almost all photographers use: Photoshop.
The current version - CS6 - will be last version that you can purchase and use on your computer for as long as you want without paying additional fees.
Future versions will be available only on the "Creative Cloud" and you will need to pay a fee EVERY month in order to just use the program.
There has been a major protest over this policy change but it does not appear that Adobe will reverse it.
To give you some idea of what this policy will mean to you, here is a listing of charges - things keep changing so you need to attend the meeting to get the latest information:
- Creative Cloud Suite (all apps):
- US$49.99/month on annual basis (~US$600/year)
- US$74.99/month on month-to-month basis (~US$960/year)
- Upgrade from CS6: US$19.99/month (~US$240/year) for first year only
- Upgrade from CS3 or later: US$29.99/month (~US$360 year) for first year only
- Students/Teachers: US$19.99/month (~US240/year) on annual basis, for first year only. Note that the education prices are now the same as regular prices.
- Students/Teachers: US$29.99/month (~US$360/year)
- Photoshop only:
- US$19.99/month on annual basis (~US$240/year)
- US$29.99/month on month-to-month basis (~US$360/year)
- Until July 31: US$9.99/month (~US$120/year) for CS3 to CS6 upgraders first year only
- No student/teacher pricing available
- Limited access to services, whatever that means
Even Worse: You will no longer own the software - you will just be paying for the right to use it.
As a result of these changes, there is a lot of new interest in different image editing programs like Apple's Aperture and others.
The reason for scheduling this Meetup is to provide as much information as possible about the changes that Adobe is making as well as other options that exist.
We are looking for members of the Meetup group who use other programs and would be available to do a presentation on those alternative programs. Please send me an email as soon as possible if you are able to do a presentation for us.
Meetup Date: Thursday, May 16
Time: 6:00 pm to 6:30 pm for networking with presentations starting at 6:30 pm
Location: Sport Basement, 1590 Bryant Street, San Francisco in the Grotto on the lower level.
Parking: The meters do not run after 6:00 pm and there is normally good on street, free parking.
Cost: This is a FREE event and the Sports Basement will provide complimentary snacks and drinks for us as well as a discount on in store purchases.
RSVP: If you are planning to attend, we request that you enter a Yes RSVP so that we will know how many people to plan for, however, an RSVP is not required to attend.
SOCIAL MEDIA: Please help us spread the word about this meetup by sending out notices on Facebook, Twitter, etc. Thanks very much for your help.