Bay Area Sewists Message Board › Fabric/Sewing stores in the Bay Area

Fabric/Sewing stores in the Bay Area

Katia T.
user 25225792
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
I just wanted to list off some fabric stores that are located in the Bay Area that people have actually been to and can recommend. Here are the ones I've been to, and that I really like located in San Francisco.

1) Fabric Outlet on Mission and 17th St (next to Thrift Town). It's a decent place, and they have sales around major holidays. Add them on Facebook to know when their sales start. It's relatively inexpensive, but they do have more eccentric fabric, useful if you're preparing to go to Burning Man.

2) Discount Fabric. There are two locations in San Francisco: 11th St and Howard, and Irving and 24th Ave. The Howard location is like a fabric warehouse, with bolts everywhere, and a large selection of quilting cotton. Also, the Howard location gives a 10% student discount on non-sale items. I haven't been to the Irving location in a while, so I can't really say too much about them.

3) Britex Fabrics, on Geary between Stockton and Grant. A number of us went there for the meet up, so you know that the prices are very high, the fabric is good quality, and the whole 4th floor is remnants (though not cheap). If you're looking for quilting cotton or batiks, try Discount Fabrics first. Overall, this is a great store, and definitely worth a visit.

4) Fabrix on Clement and 2nd Ave. This store is the cheapest place in San Francisco! This is where end bolts go. It's tiny, but going inside is like a treasure hunt. They have a selection of 99cent fabrics (usually lining or very cheap fabric that I personally use as muslin), they also have a wall of $2.39/yard fabric, the knits are all that price too, and there's a wall of $3.99 fabric. The wools and silks and velvets are usually about $10 or a bit more. Keep in mind, this place constantly has changing inventory.

5) Satin Moon Fabrics, on Clement between Arguello and 2nd Ave. This is a very small store, with higher prices (though not as high as Britex) and good quality fabric. I've been there once, and liked it.

Please keep the discussion going on where everyone has shopped, and what they think of those stores.
Meg
user 14573271
Oakland, CA
Post #: 2
My favorite East Bay locations:

Stone Mountain and Daughter: Shattuck at Dwight in Berkeley. They have a large range of fabrics and I've found some really great deals in their sale section on the second floor (italian wool for $10/yd, great knits, etc.). They also offer a wide range of classes.

Piedmont Fabric: Piedmont Ave in Oakland. The store recently split into two locations on Piedmont Ave--a fabric store and an upholstery/home decor store. This place is a bit more upscale, but I love popping in for their selection of cotton voile and other unique fabric. They also have begun offering classes.

Discount Fabrics: In addition to the SF locations, there is a Discount Fabrics on San Pablo at Ashby in Berkeley. I don't always find what I'm looking for there, but I've gotten some good deals on upholstery fabrics and any time I need a large quantity for cheap.
Elizabeth H.
user 35103202
Fairfax, CA
Post #: 4
Dharma Trading, 1604 Fourth St. in San Rafael, California - Sells greige goods and dyes. They have a wide selection of fibers and weights and the fabric is very good quality at a decent price. If you enjoy printmaking and/or dyeing or you just want to experiment with new fibers this is your place.
Heather Weisman O.
user 35084502
Dublin, CA
Being fairly new to sewing (about 6 months now), and living in Dublin, there aren't a lot of choices around here, but I'll sound off on the few I've been to.

Joann's Fabric: I've been to the newer Dublin, the Superstore in Concord and the smaller/older one in Livermore. The pluses are that there are always sales going on and you can get decent, basic fabrics for a pretty good price. They actually have a pretty good selection of home decor fabrics as well, which I use a lot for bags. I stock up on interfacing and notions there when they have a 50% off sale. The Concord store has a bigger selection, followed by Dublin then Livermore. This is also the best deal for the Big 4 Patterns. I'm there A LOT as it's less than a mile from my house (Dublin location).

Stone Mountain & Daughter in Berkeley: after reading reviews on Yelp and patternreview.com I had to go and check out this place. It's definitely a bit pricey, but I found some GREAT deals on the 2nd floor sales. I got some very cool knits for pretty cheap. Their pattern selection is anything BUT the big 4. They have TONS of cottons (Japanese, Batiks, Quilters, etc.) and lots of other fun stuff to browse. I have signed up for some classes here as they have A TON, so I'm really looking forward to expanding my sewing knowledge.

Bolt's End in Castro Valley: don't bother! Old, musty and hardly a selection. The only thing they excel at was trims, which they have lots of.

The Cotton Patch in Lafayette: caters to the quilter (hench the name), so you may find a few knits, but pretty much just cotton in this cute little converted house. But they do have a lot of cotton to choose from and a surprising amount of books. If you live in the area and are wanting for cotton, check it out. Prices are a little high (small store, Lafayette), but I like giving business to mom/pop places.
Nicole C.
levanah
San Jose, CA
Down here in the south bay we have Fabrics R Us http://www.yelp.com/b...­ (similar to discount fabrics, the yelp reviews are great) and Thai Silks http://www.thaisilks....­ (I've found many fabrics that Britex was selling for twice as much.

I'd love to go to the Dharma Trading Company. I've ordered from them in the past.
evilincarKnit
user 33053902
San Francisco, CA
Another fun place is New Pieces in Berkeley, on Gilman and 4th in the Tannery. Although it bills itself as a quilt shop, cotton is cotton and I've found some fun whimsical prints here that are dress-worthy. No notions or patterns to speak of other than quilty stuff, but (mostly) helpful staff and a huge variety of batiks, Asian-inspired, and retro print cottons.
evilincarKnit
user 33053902
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
...and I almost forgot about the best secret gem of a fabric store, A Verb For Keeping Warm, at 6328 San Pablo in Oakland. It was originally just a yarn store, and they spin and dye their own in-house yarn. They now carry a decent variety of cotton fabrics and some wool too (I think!) plus Colette patterns and a small amount of threads, etc. They also offer beginning sewing lessons and have really friendly, super-knowledgeable staff.
Leah
user 25336322
Oakland, CA
My new favorite store in Berkeley - Lacis store and Lace and Textile Museum, 3163 Adeline Street Berkeley. Not so much for fabric (they do have a few nice silks), but if you are wondering where to get things like spiral steel boning, horse hair braid, fancy lace trims, hat making supplies, etc, they have it!

And another worth mentioning:
Happy Stop 1132 E 12th St Oakland. It's TINY but piled floor to ceiling with folded up pieces of fabric on shelves. Mostly good for cheap jersey fabric - I think most of it was $2 a yard. I didn't find anything quality, but I did stock up on some cheap knits to make wearable muslins.