addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Bay Area Sewists Message Board › Iron recommendations/opinion.

Iron recommendations/opinion.

A former member
Post #: 487
I am rapidly losing my mind trying to replace my Rowenta iron. From the reviews of all the various models on Amazon (which can range from 5 stars to 1), it appears that the Rowenta quality and dependability of a decade ago no longer exist. But some people love the models that other people complain about.

I value the opinion of sewists. What brand/model do you like/dislike? What has been your experience with Rowenta?

The features I am looking for are (1) auto shut-off; (2) fabulous variable steam, with no dripping or leaking or mineral spit-up; (3) pointed tip to get into small spaces; (4) easy-glide soleplate; and (5) durability. Must continue working at peak performance for at least 4 years. A generous water reservoir would be nice. I'm not ready for one of the professional steaming sessions with separate water tank and hoses.

Would anyone be interested in a Meetup where we all bring our irons and sample types of fabrics (heavy, sheer, natural, synthetic) to compare/contrast the performance of our irons?
A former member
Post #: 3
I have the Rowenta promaster (1700w), made in Germany. I got it in December, so I'm not sure how well it will hold up. My last Rowenta is still going strong (it's 7 years old) and is now being used by my mom. The iron I had before those two was also a Rowenta that I received as a gift when I was in college. That one lasted about 15 years before it started spitting up all the time.

Anyway, my current Rowenta has all of the features you mention above. It only spits up when I try to use it before it has come up to temperature. Because I tend to use it with full steam on, it does run out of water fairly quickly. It has a non-teflon soleplate, which I like. I would recommend it. I think I paid just under $100 for it on Amazon.
A former member
Post #: 491
Thanks for the feedback, Valerie. I, too (like you and many commenters on Amazon), had a Rowenta that lasted over 10 years, but the model after that did not. And the current units seem to be designed for obsolesence. If I recall correctly (at this point I have read on Amazon ALL the reviews for ALL the Rowenta models...am making a spreadsheet in order to handle the data), there was wild divergence of opinion on the Pro Master. I am concerned by the seemingly articulate reviewer who said that the Pro Master leaked (BIG time...more like water streamed out...); but you never know whether (a) the person was using it correctly -- i.e., letting it get to full temperature and/or (b) whether the person got a lemon. Also, people who tend to rave about how wonderful Rowentas are used to use Black & Decker, Panasonic, etc. .... so, of course Rowenta is going to be a religious experience for them the first time they use them.

That's why I am interested in what other sewists/crafters/fashionistas have to say. Their requirements and needs (and knowledge/experience with both pressing and ironing) are more likely to match mine.

If I had to homogenize the majority of Amazon comments into one statement about Rowenta irons, it would be: quality is an ongoing issue, even for the ones made once again in Germany (vs. in China...a hideous mistake on the company's part), and when the current models of Rowenta DO work, they work great, but for only about 18 months, after which they either die or start leaking/spitting/having electrical problems, etc. The best advice I got was: if you really want a Rowenta, then don't spend more than $60 on it, because the expensive ones will die just as fast as the cheaper models. So, if I'm willing to accept an amortized purchase cost of ~$3.50 month for 18 months, then I should get a Rowenta.