Bay Area Sewists Message Board › So do you sew first then dye?

So do you sew first then dye?

Cassandra Louie
user 53943602
Hayward, CA
Post #: 1
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Hello!

After trying to find a certain color fabric and coming up short I thought I would try dying my own. After many YouTube tutorials I'm still not sure if you are supposed to dye the fabric first and then sew or sew and then dye. I figured dying it first would help prevent any shrinkage problems, but I might end up with more dyed fabric than needed. If sewn first there won't be any wasted fabric, but then I'm afraid of the item shrinking in the warm dye bath.

What do you think? Does anyone want to share their experience in this?
Mandeep
user 65575162
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 1
Even though I never dyed myself any material; but I would like to dye fabric sometimes. But I think that I can still give you what come to my mind on this. If I would have to do this. Since I would be new in dying I would first dye on some small piece of cloth to know the colors of the dye and check if the cloth I am using shrink or not. Then dye the rest of the cloth. As far as sewing is concern I always buy little extra cloth then needed because if the cloth is not enough; then it can be problem for sewing. Left over cloths can be always used for making some other things like making dolls clothes, small napkins or so forth. I hope this helps. Since I am not expert at this and it is good to check with other people's advice on this also. And make the best choice for getting this right way.
Cassandra Louie
user 53943602
Hayward, CA
Post #: 2
Thanks for the advice!