addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Bay Area Voluntaryists Message Board › FIJA outreach, Hippy Hill, 4/20/2014?

FIJA outreach, Hippy Hill, 4/20/2014?

Dan
user 8856320
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 2
Hi all,

I happened upon the 4/20 gathering yesterday on Hippy Hill in Golden Gate Park in SF yesterday. I described it in this google plus post: https://plus.google.c...­

It occurred to me as I left, what a great big group of people who are demonstrating that they're prepared to disregard bad laws. There seems to be an opportunity to do some FIJA outreach. Though, this particular event is a really grungy sort of affair, so you might have to prepare to tone down your intellectual level a couple notches as you reach out to these folks. But I think they would be sympathetic. Granted, I'm rather unfamiliar with FIJA and jury nullification, so I'd need to study up before I started canvassing myself. But I think it would be good to come out there letting them know that they won't risk any danger nullifying peaceful drug consumers and dealers (and we should make it clear that we don't sympathize with drug-related violence), they could be the one to stop somebody's life from being ruined, somebody in a similar position to themselves as a drug consumer.

So I think we should print up a few thousand flyers, have a few URLs listed. Unless somebody finds this concept objectionable, perhaps the main URL should be a bit.ly redirect link to track how many people click on it, so we can get some idea whether this is effective or not in at least getting people's interest.

Other things I thought of was handing out ACLU type primers on not getting your bags searched, though it seems like the police are pretty tolerant around here anyway, so it might not be as relevant. Then again, good to be prepare if you're traveling to another state?

Let me know what you guys think! Perhaps FIJA is too much of a "minarchist thing", but I hear them talk about it on Free Talk Live enough that I imagine it's not too "inside the system" for Voluntaryist tastes.

Cheers,

Dan
Dan
user 8856320
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 3
I'm suddenly a bit worried that I might have offended any cannabis users among you with my comment about intellectual level. To be clear, I really am referring to the way that people were behaving at this particular event. And that's fine too, you don't have to act sophisticated at a giant party. I just mean that if you come in a suit and tie trying to make an intellectual argument, people might not care to listen.
A former member
Post #: 64
Give folks a week or two warning before the next event; maybe even set up a Meetup so folks can coordinate, get flyers, etc.
Dan
user 8856320
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 4
Yeah of course, we'll plan something more carefully closer to the event. I was just bouncing off the idea at this point, curious if people thought it was a particularly worthy idea.