Bay Area Cycling Message Board › If you have an opinion about cycling across the Golden Gate Bridge, express

If you have an opinion about cycling across the Golden Gate Bridge, express it now!

Paul
pablo.skils
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
On Thursday, April 21, at 10:00am, the Building and Operating Committee of the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District will discuss a proposal to implement a 10 MPH bicycle speed limit on Bridge sidewalks.

Please visit http://goldengate.org...­ for details of the proposal. Comments can be emailed to bridgecomments@goldengate.org.
Janelle
mariposabluesky
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 17
How in the world are they going to enforce that?? Hire an officer at each end? It doesn't sound too well though out to me.

Gustav
user 7825446
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
Yeah, officers with radar guns? I say just put lane stripes. That might help.
A former member
Post #: 21
the idea has been tabled leaving the Bridge Authority Directors with egg on their faces. I'm glad to see the bike rental companies taking a stake in this. agreed on the idea of a simple stripe to chill things down.
http://sf.streetsblog...­
as locals we need to chill and tell our friends to do so as well.
NOTE THAT THE WEST SIDE BIKE PATH WILL BE CLOSED FOR 4 MONTHS STARTING MAY 9TH. :(
Paul
pablo.skils
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
I went to the meeting and with Sean's permission spoke on behalf of our meetup group. I was one of many representing the cycling community, and between us we came up with a wide range of plausible arguments about the poorly conceived study. Alta Design was actually instructed to not consult with cycling groups in their one-year study of bridge accidents and solutions. When that came out, the MD of the GGB got a very uncomfortable expression on his face.

The plan was to issue police officers with laser speed guns. The tickets were going to be almost $200 with court costs included.

My point was that I don't have a speedometer on my bike, but I guess I travel above 10mph. If I was leading a paceline of speeding cyclists across the bridge and the laser was pointed at me, I'd slam my brakes on to lose speed fast. This, I explained, would cause the riders behind to rear-end me and we'd have a high-speed multi-rider pile-up: exactly the kind of accident they are hoping to reduce.

I also pointed out that the plan did nothing to address accidents caused by wayward rental bike riders (the majority of accidents) and tourists walking backward while looking at their camera viewfinders.

Anyway, read the sf.streetsblog.org story on the meeting. It pretty much says it all.
A former member
Post #: 3
I posted on the SFbike list and in comment to the board, that the same 85th percentile based on a traffic a safety study as is required for setting motor vehicular traffic must be performed or any bicycle speeding ticket issued would be unenforceable.
The amount paid to these kangaroo court consultants and how they were selected still remains secret, along with who "they" were who instructed the consultants not to talk with cycling groups.
Paul
pablo.skils
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 4
Hey Barry, actually that information is public. Alta Design was paid $25,000 for the one-year study. I do not know whether or not it is publicly known if there was a competitive bid process for the contract. The managing director of the Golden Gate Bridge District instructed Alta Design to keep the study confidential, which included not consulting with cycling groups. The reason we were given is that the study documents included information about accident cases in litigation. This reason was not widely accepted, and when offering it, the MD of the GGB looked very uncomfortable, as if he knew it was not an adequate reason. Government officials working in traffic safety who were present at the meeting expressed the view that any sensitive documents could have been redacted - if they needed to be shared at all. I don't think any cycling groups would have asked to see documents giving great detail about particular bicycle accidents on the bridge. More important is general information such as the type of cyclists (racing, recreational, rental), the atmospheric conditions (mist, rain, wind, light, visibility), and categorized causes of a crash (head-on collision, rider swerving into path of oncoming rider, rider colliding with stationary object, etc.).
Sean
kophinos
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 19
I don't understand why they are not able to keep the west span (bike lane) of the GGB open at all times. In doing so they would separate the cyclists from the foot traffic and as a result the bicycle/pedestrian accidents would be resolved.
A former member
Post #: 70
I don't understand why they are not able to keep the west span (bike lane) of the GGB open at all times. In doing so they would separate the cyclists from the foot traffic and as a result the bicycle/pedestrian accidents would be resolved.

Amen, brother. laughing
Paul
pablo.skils
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 5
We're far from the point of asking them for that. There's a lot of work to do in building a relationship with the bridge management authorities.