Group Organizer
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 53
ETERNAL QUESTIONS OF LIFE (a.k.a. Frequently Asked Questions)

Q: So how is this group run?

A: Everything is completely volunteer driven. The Organizers (Leadership Team) take care of website maintenance. The founder (Yuan) pays for the website. The Organizers voluntarily post and lead rides for different skill levels. And there are lots of group members who regularly show up for rides and are extremely helpful with emergency repairs, bike knowledge, trail knowledge, and even search and rescue!

Q: Wow, how can I show my support?

A: After a ride, buy lunch for the organizer or someone who you really clicked with during the ride, or both! Give a thank you to the organizer. Save a stranded hiker. Or go out and volunteer for a good cause.

Q: So who can post rides?

A: Only the Organizers can post rides.

Q: Alright, then how do I become an organizer?

A: 1. Show up for some existing rides.
2. Show that you are reliable, well-liked by other riders, and most importantly, responsible.
3. Receive a personal invitation from the Organizers to join the crew.

Q: I have this marvelous idea that will revolutionize mountain biking as we know it. Where should I direct my idea?

A: Send it to an Organizer that you have met before. Make sure you waive all claims of originality so that we can use your idea for profit.

Q: What if I don't receive a response to an e-mail?

A: Please remember that everything here is volunteer driven. The Organizers have full-time jobs and busy lives outside of mountain biking. Some even have kids! So read through the site, particular the group forums. If your question is already answered on the site, chances are the Organizer will not want to reanswer it.
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 26
For everyone that are considering or wanting to be an Organizer, here's a few food for thought. Being an Organizer is not just about setting up rides. It's about knowing the trails you are going to ride. It's about leading a group of people and making sure everyone is looked after from the speedy hare to the slow tortoise. It's about encouraging one another and sharing what you know and learning from those who know more. It's the willingness of sharing your last energy bar with someone who may need it a lot more than yourself. It's about being able to adapt to the group you have that day. Anyone can go out and ride but only a select few can actually lead. So ask yourself if this is really you and if you are really up to the task.