addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Bay Area Mountain Biking Message Board MISCELLANEOUS CRAP › Question: Has anyone here done Haleakala?!

Question: Has anyone here done Haleakala?!

armean
user 14001409
Campbell, CA
Post #: 3
Has anyone here come down the Halekala volcano in Maui?
I will be doing it in a month and half and looking for pointers?
From what I could find on youtube the main issue on that downhill seems to be the volcanic sand.
Anything major I should know about?
How big does my helmet need to be? ie how much protection am I going to need?
And what's the deal with Mamane trail? It says "exceptional" mtb-ers should go there.
I'm not exceptional at all but now curiosity is killing me. :o)
Thanks in advance
Armean
Kerby
Mr.Fancybike
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 36
When I was there some 11 years ago, there was no mountain biking down Halekala. It looks like mountain biking has really caught on over there. I watched some of the youtube videos and it looks super fun: http://www.youtube.co...­

From watching the videos: a lot people seem to be wearing full face helmets and pads. Maybe call a bike shop over there to get more info.

My two recommendations are to have someone drop you off up top and bring something warm to wear cause it is cold up above them clouds.

Have fun,
Kerby
Tino
DeathRide10x
Salinas, CA
Post #: 137
I've only been up and then back down on my road bike. Passed by 6 shuttle vans with bikes on the way up; Passed all 6 groups on my way back down to Kahului. 40 miles each way and every inch was amazing.
armean
user 14001409
Campbell, CA
Post #: 4
Thanks for the reply and tips. I hadn't even considered the cold up there. :o) Will report back afterwards. Something tells me that I'll be grinning ear to ear, with a lot of sand between my teeth, but hey, life's good that way... :o)