Bay Area Mountain Biking Message Board FOR SALE OR TRADE › Interested in night riding? You need to check out these lights...

Interested in night riding? You need to check out these lights...

Danny T.
user 9148002
San Jose, CA
Post #: 15
If you visit any bike shop, a decent lighting system can easily cost $200 and up and only output maybe ~150 - 200 lumens. I was browsing the mtbr forums today and I found this: Magicshine p7 lights. 900 lumens for $80!

These things are dirt cheap! While they probably are not the highest quality, general consensus is that they are the best bang for your buck system.

Does anyone know if there are places in the Bay Area where we can do some legal night riding?

Jeff W.
user 5762125
Alameda, CA
Post #: 42
Wow it sounds almost like one of those "too good to be true" things...let us know if you like it. I also found a great source for cheap replacement batteries for your existing system: Batteryspace.com. MUCH cheaper than OEM batteries.

As for legal night riding, east bay county parks like Redwood are open until 10:00pm, and Henry Coe State Park in the south bay is open 24 hours (but register with the ranger station before you head out or they might think you are out there jacklighting deer, as happened to some friends of mine a few years back.... a department of fish and game airplane saw their lights, called the ranger and he had to get out of bed, drive out into the middle of nowhere and find them. They had a ranger encounter of a very angry kind).

I'm sure there are other legal state parks, but don't know for sure.

Jeff
Jidi
user 9610537
Concord, CA
Post #: 3
Damn, wish I'd seen that light earlier. I recently bought the Niterider minewt that costs more and has a lot less output. The night ride at Mt. Tam with Yuan and Jack was fun.
Philip
Philc26
Alameda, CA
Post #: 1
just order one, thanx danny. ya, i'm down for night ride, let go!!
Jeff W.
user 5762125
Alameda, CA
Post #: 46
Did anybody get one of these yet? Any reviews/impressions?
Philip
Philc26
Alameda, CA
Post #: 3
Did anybody get one of these yet? Any reviews/impressions?

Just got'em today, little over two weeks to get here from H.K. I don't have too much experience with night riding and lights but I'm sure for $80 bucks its worth it. The oem box even comes with magnet on the box door for keeping the box door shut and sponged inner to store parts neatly. Light seems very bright, I don't have another to compare to. No adjustment for focal point, narrow to wide angle, this would have made this light perfect.
I will have it with me on Thurs night ride at Miller, if you guys wanna check it out.
Yuan
Yuan
Group Organizer
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 10
Impressive performance, Phil! For $80, can't go wrong.
Phorest
Phorestb
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 1
Great, very bright light! Put my little Niterider Roadrat to shame.
Jeff W.
user 5762125
Alameda, CA
Post #: 51
So I just received my Magicshine light from Geomangear.com today and I am really impressed with the thing. For 89 bucks and free shipping I got a light that is blindingly bright.

I am going to order a second one because I don't want to be caught out in the dark with only one light that might go out...but I noticed on Geoman's website he offers club discounts for orders of more than one light... is anybody interested in pooling an order to save a few bucks? Ordering from Geoman also gets you a US distributor for warranty issues and I did see somewhere that he extends the warranty beyond the manufacturer's 90-days...

Also, I've seen a ton of posts online that Geoman has been working closely with the manufacturer to make significant quality improvements in the last two months...for example, they've started shipping with longer cables, added thermal paste to the heatsink for better transfer of heat away from the LED, adding screws to hold the star unit on rather than just epoxy, and being more careful in assembly to clean out small aluminum shards that were causing early units to short out.

Looking forward to doing some nightriding this winter!

Jeff
Jidi
user 9610537
Concord, CA
Post #: 9
I'm interested in a group buy.