Bay Area Mobile Message Board › Rumors of BlackBerry's death have been greatly exaggerated!

Rumors of BlackBerry's death have been greatly exaggerated!

Larry M.
lmcdunna
San Jose, CA
Post #: 1
Hello everyone,

I just discovered and joined your meetup. Looks like an awesome group!

I've been working for RIM for almost 2 years defining requirements for developer APIs (HTML5/WebWorks, BlackBerry Java, Native SDK C/C++, etc.). Earlier this year I was aked to bring the BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps to market. I'm a Sr. member of the Platform Product Management Team at RIM, but have recently made a change to more directly support developers.

As you all know, RIM and BlackBerry have been slaughtered by the press and media in the US. Developers here in Silicon Valley don't even mention BlackBerry when they talk about their mobile platform plans. Yet, I see BlackBerrys all over the place and happen to know that our device sales charts look like the classic hockey-stick rising significantly each year for the last 6 years. In our last earnings call, RIM reported 40% year-over-year subscriber growth, and Fortune names RIM again as one of the 100 fastest growing companies. What gives ?

I'm local, and I'd love to come talk to your group about why RIM is a relevant platform for developers. It's not a sales pitch. Developers need to understand the costs and benefits of the platform choices they make. Where should you invest your resources? Why? ...and I'm guessing no one from RIM has visited your group before, right?

I can also talk in detail about the BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps, demo the tools, convert your android apks live in the meeting and show them running (hopefully!) on the PlayBook (I got 2 out of 5 working in Vancouver last week, but usually my average is higher than that). And I'll bring a couple Playbooks to raffle off.

Anyone Interested?

--Larry

Sid M.
sidneyallen
Moraga, CA
Post #: 16
Hi Larry,

Would be happy to have you demonstrate some RIM WebWorks tools at a future meetup. I'm open for a demonstration of how the technology works, but we definitely don't want a big sales/marketing pitch.

Shoot me a message via my meetup profile.

Thanks!