BayJax - The Bay Area Ajax and JavaScript Meetup Message Board › Prisons and maps: Need help telling the story of the California corrections

Prisons and maps: Need help telling the story of the California corrections system

Luke W.
user 11755280
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 6

My name's Luke Whyte and I'm working on a project called Voices of Justice, which takes a look at recidivism, sentencing reform and overcrowding in the California corrections system.

For almost two years, I was the editor for the online magazine for correctional professionals, I’m now going to be using my contacts in, and knowledge of, the system to travel around California, from prison to prison and agency to agency on a bicycle, interviewing prisoners, correctional staff, health care professionals, parole officers, parolees and anyone else with valuable insight into the system and enabling them to tell their stories.

I want to take these interviews, convert them to blog entries and then, based on the location of the interviewee, tag them to virtual maps of the state of California. The plan is to couple these location-based blog entries with data on the growth and transformation of the corrections system and visualize that data on the maps. The ultimate goal being to create a large spectrum of micro stories and data visualizations that can be viewed collectively to create a macro, spatial sense of what is happening in California corrections.

We're more than halfway there, but I need a little technical help from someone familiar with the Google Maps V3 API before I can hit the road. Any developers out there with an interest in lending a hand? Money's tight, but I'm more than willing to compensate and am looking to get some quotes before I start my next round of fundraising.

Thanks, Luke