addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Buffalo Live-Food Community Message Board › How to deal with old friends and old habits!!!???

How to deal with old friends and old habits!!!???

A former member
Post #: 3
Hi everyone, with the holidays coming we are all soon going to be dealing with increased pressure from the cooked and nonvegan world. Any ideas?

I am really susceptible to this pressure. For some reason one friend in particular always tweaks my tendency to stumble. I think she has finally accepted the fact that I do not want to eat meat but yesterday the food included both dairy and gluten (and frankly I don't know which is worse). She really is not open and gets quite angry about my food "issues" so I try to go with the flow and not give in too much at the same time, but that is a battle she always seems to win, since being raw vegan is so far to the left. I think that if I offered to make food at my house she'd probably refuse. I've actually considered just avoiding this friend as she just does not understand, but when you have been friends for 25 years it's a little hard to do that. I know I can't be the only person that falls into this trap from time to time, so I was looking for a little support and feedback.

I do know that I need to keep going to the potlucks, practice nonjudgment (of myself as well as others) and just keep plugging along in spite of setbacks. People get very angry about food, it's weird.

Any thoughts? Cheli
Tracy M.
user 11102542
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 29
Hi everyone, with the holidays coming we are all soon going to be dealing with increased pressure from the cooked and nonvegan world. Any ideas?

I am really susceptible to this pressure. For some reason one friend in particular always tweaks my tendency to stumble. I think she has finally accepted the fact that I do not want to eat meat but yesterday the food included both dairy and gluten (and frankly I don't know which is worse). She really is not open and gets quite angry about my food "issues" so I try to go with the flow and not give in too much at the same time, but that is a battle she always seems to win, since being raw vegan is so far to the left. I think that if I offered to make food at my house she'd probably refuse. I've actually considered just avoiding this friend as she just does not understand, but when you have been friends for 25 years it's a little hard to do that. I know I can't be the only person that falls into this trap from time to time, so I was looking for a little support and feedback.

I do know that I need to keep going to the potlucks, practice nonjudgment (of myself as well as others) and just keep plugging along in spite of setbacks. People get very angry about food, it's weird.

Any thoughts? Cheli

Hi Cheli

When I have dinner at my house, it is always vegan. In the beginning, my family did not quite understand and really wanted to eat the "other way." But once they knew I was firm in my belief, they respected my choices and ate vegan with me. If they did not, it would be there choice not to come to my house. I will not compromise my values--which is who I am. When I go to my friends or families homes, I bring my own food and eat from that. Of course, I bring the food to share with everyone, but this is the only food I eat from.

I hope this helps.

Thanks
Tracy