The Buffalo Live-Food Community Message Board › Raw food selection at Lexington Coop

Raw food selection at Lexington Coop

Aaron F.
Logic125
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Hey everyone,

I just came back from a week-long trip to Seattle two days ago and wanted to share something with you. I had the pleasure of enjoying Seattle's Madison Market, a cooperative market that is a part of the same system as our very own Lexington Coop here in Buffalo. I was absolutely BLOWN away. The number of raw food options at Madison Market is astounding. Let's compare what the two have to offer. Here is my estimate of the number of raw-ORGANIC-vegan food options at Lexington Coop (LC) and Madison Market (MM):

--Raw (Dehydrated) Granola
LC: 0
MM: 10

--Dried Fruits
LC: 5 (raisins, cranberries, apples, mango, papaya)
MM: 8

--Live Food Bars
LC: 6 (3 kinds of 'Raw Revolution', 3 kinds of 'The Good Stuff')
MM: 20 (way too many to list)

--Raw (Dehydrated) Crackers
MM: 10

--Ready-made, Refrigerated, Raw Food Portions
MM: 4

--Refrigerated, Raw Desserts
MM: 7

--Raw Nut Butter
LC: 0 (I think their peanut butters and almond butters are dry-roasted)
MM: 3

That's all I can think of for now..

At MM you will NOT see the word "conventional" anywhere in the store. Here's why. They deal almost exclusively with organic foods, so much so that if something is NOT organic it is labeled "not organic." Brilliant, isn't it?? I can say, without reservation, that MM has more raw food options then we have VEGAN options here at LC. They have two 6 foot shelves devoted to live food bars and raw crackers alone.

HERE IS THE POINT:

If we want to HELP the world instead of condoning ignorant health choices, we need get out and advertise. What better way to advertise is there then through the products represented in our local cooperative market.. What we put on our shelves is all that most people know about. So if we want people to open their minds to raw foods, we have to have raw foods accessible in our Coops. Not to mention...wouldn't it be nice to have more raw food options at Lexington Coop??

Yes, Seattle is a bustling city - much more so than Buffalo. But there is no reason we should have 0 raw food options in 5 out of the 7 of the above categories. We should at least have a few products to choose from. I love Lexington Coop, I am very grateful to have access to such a wonderful community-run market, and am proud to be a member-owner, but I am unimpressed by the current management's emphasis on dairy and nutritionally empty foods. People deserve options. WE deserve options.

Excuse the pun, but I think it's time we LIVEN things up a bit.

I took photographs of just about every raw/live food in sight, just in case we need to show current management 'how Madison Market does things.' In the mean time, this is a call to action:

IF YOU ARE A MEMBER-OWNER AT LEXINGTON COOP AND WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE RAW FOOD OPTIONS, PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL. THEN MAKE SURE TO FILL OUT A TWO CENTS FORM AT THE COOP (IN THE FAR CORNER OF THE STORE NEXT TO THE REFRIGERATED SOY-BASED ITEMS) SAYING THAT YOU WOULD LIKE MORE OR EVEN SOME OF THE FOLLOWING:

--Raw (Dehydrated) Granola
--Dried Fruits
--Live Food Bars
--Raw (Dehydrated) Crackers
--Raw Foods and Desserts prepared in Lexi's kitchen
--Raw Nut Butter

IF THIS DOES NOT GENERATE A RESPONSE, I WILL THEN MAKE A FRIENDLY PETITION AND GATHER SIGNATURES FROM AS MANY LOCAL RAW FOODISTS AS POSSIBLE - HOPEFULLY THAT WILL DO THE TRICK.

Love and Peace,

---Aaron