The Buffalo Live-Food Community Message Board › Dear Buffalo Live Foodists

Dear Buffalo Live Foodists

Aaron F.
Logic125
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Dear Buffalo Live Foodists,

I am very happy to share that The Buffalo Living Foods Meetup Group has been active for over half a year, not to mention the Live Plant Food Picnic in Days Park marks our 10th meetup together. I think it’s important for us to take stock.

Sometimes when we get together it might feel like ‘just another meetup.’ But if we step back and look at the big picture we see that in our short time together we have:

1. Created some strong relationships with others who share our values.
2. Helped people to transition to a level of health that feels right for them.
3. Provided emotional support that is hard to come by in our daily lives.
4. Spread the word about a lifestyle that is truly inspiring.

These meetups are crucial for bettering the world. Let’s play out a little scenario…

‘A woman comes to a meetup because she has been having digestive problems for the last ten years. She is a little weary about the kind of people she might meet. But something in her heart tells her to give it a try. She comes to a meetup and hears the story of a woman who has reversed cancer by eating live plant-based foods. Little by little she incorporates more of these foods into her eating lifestyle and her digestive problems begin to subside. She never imagined that foods she already enjoyed had the capacity to make her well again. She is so blown away that she tells her friend who has recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes to consider eating exclusively live plant-based foods. Her friend looks into this further and discovers an online community of people who have successfully reversed type 2 diabetes. She is inspired to take steps to break free of her insulin dependency…’

I could go on and on, but I think my point is clear. Every single interaction we have is an AMAZING opportunity to improve our own life, the lives of our family and close friends, the lives of strangers that walk by the Coop and see us eating raw kale and broccoli and ask us what the deal is, etc... The list goes on and on. Maybe some people meet this lifestyle choice with some resistance. But we are capable of lighting the flame that may open their minds to eating more live plant-based foods even ten years down the road.

So if you think about it, what may seem small on a regular meetup basis, has the capacity to have already transformed countless people’s lives for the better. I feel truly fortunate to be a part of this with each and every one of you 

All of this good does cost money though - $15 per month to maintain the meetup site through www.meetup.com. That is $180 per year. There are at least a dozen active members in the meetup group. Divide it up and that’s $15 per person, a small price to pay for the opportunity to make the world a better place. That will cover us until the end of December. Up until this point, I have been providing the funds. But as I am a poor graduate student, I need your support. I ask that all active members make a contribution of $15, which I will be collecting over the course of the next few meetups. Any extra money I raise will be accounted for and funneled back into the meetup group, being used to fund future meetups and make them better than ever. For instance, how would you like to take a trip to out to Ithaca together and not have to worry about gas? How would you like to have interesting guest speakers give talks at no cost? We can make this all happen together, but I need your help. Your contribution of $15 makes a big difference.

And just to give you an idea of some upcoming events: In a couple of weeks, I am planning a day of blueberry picking on Thorpe’s Organic Farm in East Aurora. I also received an e-mail from Eliza Schneider, co-owner of Merge (a wonderful vegan restaurant in downtown Buffalo that caters to many different lifestyles), and she cited interest in working together to organize a ‘LIVE night’ this summer, featuring several special live plant-based food options, similar to Toni’s Raw Night at Merge back in April, which was a huge success…about 50 people were in attendance!

Also noteworthy is that Turiya Mistretta is bringing a wonderfully delicious raw chocolate out to Buffalo soon that is going to change our lives  Many exciting things unfolding for live foodists here in Buffalo, NY!

Thank you so much for being a part of this.

Love, peace, and much respect

Aaron E. Fried
Organizer for The Buffalo Living Foods Meetup Group