Bend Area Cycling Enthusiasts (BACE) Message Board › The 10 Essentials
List from my talk last month.
This list varies based on the weather and location your riding in but is a good place to start.
1. First Aid Kit (including paper, pen/pencil)
2. Navigation Tools ( map, compass, GPS optional)
3. Fire Starter Tools ( water proof matches, lighter, striker, tinder)
4. Hydration & Nutrition ( water, water, water & extra food; water filter) goo is not food!
5. Illumination (headlamp/flashlight, extra batteries)
6. Sun Protection (sunglasses, sunscreen, hat, extra layers)
7. Insulation (extra clothing layers- NO cotton, rain gear) Plastic bread bags for your feet, Plastic hair nets for your head.
8. Multi-Purpose Tools/Repair
9. Signaling devices (whistle, mirror, cell phone, locator beacon)
10. Emergency Shelter (tarp, emergency bivi)
• Always tell someone your adventure plans
• Think = multi-purpose items
• Knowledge = practice ahead of time; knowledge of how to use what you have
• Positive attitude, Positive Thinking
• When stressed or lost, think: “S.T.O.P.” Stop, Think, Observe, Plan