Bend Area Cycling Enthusiasts (BACE) Message Board › Food for winter fatbiking
Food for winter fatbiking takes some though as it freezes!
First keep food on you body under one of you layers. I pull it out and resupply my pogies as I consume it.
Obviously this is highly personal but here are some calorie sources that handle the cold well:
• Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups
• Dark chocolate covered almonds
• Lara Bars (of all of the bars on the market, these are the best in the cold) I make my own
• Elk or Bison jerky
When it comes to fluids, your only choice to stay hydrated is to stop the fluids freezing. Keeping the tube of your hydration pack free of ice when its -20F is not easy but here are a few tricks that will help:
• Wear your hydration pack under your jacket
• Route the hose under your arm instead of over your shoulder
• Religiously blow air back into the hose to clear the hose of fluid after you are done drinking
• Mix an electrolyte replacement product like with your water in your hydration pack. The sodium will lower the freezing point
• Carry an empty water bottle just in case your hose freezes solid and you have to resort to pouring the liquid from your hydration into the bottle to drink
For those who don’t want to mess with a hydration pack, there insulators for water bottles some work some don’t. Best thing is to keep the bottles inside your jacket!