addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Bend Photographers Group Message Board › Time-lapse Photography

Time-lapse Photography

A former member
Post #: 1
I went out to First Friday this past week to shoot some time-lapse of the street scenes. I wanted to try panning while photographing.

This video is comprised entirely of still images. Basically, I set my camera up on a tripod, set my exposure (AV, various ISO and apertures between the shots to get the different shutter speeds I wanted), and locked my remote's button down so that the camera would fire as fast as it could. Image quality was set on medium or low jpeg so that I wouldn't have buffer problems, and so that the resulting 1000's of images wouldn't be too much to deal with.

This is my first attempt at this technique, and I only have the movie editing software that comes with Windows 7, so it's certainly not perfect. I would welcome any comments, criticism, or ideas. I'd be happy to answer any other questions on how to do this as well.

http://www.youtube.co...­

Thanks,
Joe
A former member
Post #: 2
Also, I met Robert and Jill while on this shoot, and they saw the camera and tripod and told me about the group. Yet another reason to leave the house and shoot!
Robert C.
Bendeugene
Bend, OR
Post #: 22
Very cool, Joe! I like your choice of carrying the camera on a tripod, which gave a great overview of the sidewalk, stores and people from that height - much different than if you had carried at head height. Suggestion: set camera to manual exposure mode, so that the camera isn't continually adjusting for the changing lighting conditions as you pan. Not sure how it would work, but if it did, it would eliminate the constant darkening and lightening that I found distracting from the view itself. Can't wait to see the final Director's Cut and installment #2! Bravo! I think you captured a certain essence of Bend on a First Friday evening!
Jason B.
user 13966810
Bend, OR
Post #: 10
Nice work, and good to see someone else who is into timelapse! I am no expert, but I find it is always best if you shoot on full manual settings for timelapse. Keep up the good work!

Here's a couple of mine (more on my vimeo page)
Mt Bachelor- http://vimeo.com/1890...­
Balloons Over Bend- http://vimeo.com/2689...­
A former member
Post #: 4
Thanks for the feedback!

I definitely should've used manual for the static shots to guarantee constant exposure, especially outside the Tower Theatre.

I did some sample exposures on manual for the panning shots, but the lighting changed so much through the pans, and especially on the walk, that most of the exposures would have been way off (there's a range of ~2.5 stops in the panning street scene and the correctly exposed walking frames). Usually I can trust the light sensor in the 7D, but it gave me some really strange results. I manually adjusted many of the exposures for the walk in Lightroom to try and even things out, but there was just so much variety. I could hear the camera changing as I walked, very annoying.

I may try again with my 1D MkII to see if it can handle changing exposure better during long motor drive sequences.
Robert C.
Bendeugene
Bend, OR
Post #: 24
We'll be watching. Why not just try the manual settings and see what happens with that 2 1/2 stop range? It might be easier to correct the exposure after the fact that way, but I'm not knowledgeable about video. I'll ask my 20 year old son about this, as he did a lot of video in HS. But that might have been with a cool and expensive video camera! Makes a difference. Budgets!