Bend Photographers Group Message Board › Interested in meeting photographers interested in Casual Portraiture

Interested in meeting photographers interested in Casual Portraiture

Robert C.
Bendeugene
Group Organizer
Bend, OR
Post #: 28
Big thank you to Vern for taking the time to break this down for all those interested! Very well put, same as always. And thank you to Stu, too. I need to look that book up and read it. So many resources! But people are the best.
Todd C.
RTCary
Bend, OR
Post #: 4
Vern et al - thank you for your detailed input on the vast amount of information that is contained in the art of portrature photography. During Neil van Neikirk's twelve hour workshop with professional models in San Francisco, several aspects of taking good pictures of people outdoors stood out.

* Developing the skills cannot be learned in one day.
* Practicing is not a solo activity as in landscape photography; it takes at least two people - preferably three.
* The art of "seeing light" is a key part for creating good pictures of people.

With that in mind, my goal is to assemble a small group (not to exceed 4) who want to take a few principles of lighting subjects and apply them until a level of proficiency is obained. By keeping the group small, it will be easier to find days when all can get together since practice is such an important ingredient.

My choice of "Casual Portraiture" is to describe a type of "people photography" that does not discourage one (including me) from getting started in improving one's "people pictures". Like most challenges, success starts by taking small steps.
A former member
Post #: 3
BRAVO !!!! Todd. Well put and seems like it is a great start utilizing the ole' Bite Size Pieces mentality.

Can't wait to see some of the outcomes.

One think I would be happy to offer is to provide some Constructive Critique Time on some of the images you all feel are the best from one shoot to the next.

The only thing I ask is that you edit the shoot down to what you 4 feel are the best, let's say, 3 images from each of the four photographers. I would be happy to follow up if you think that might bring some value to the project..................just a thought.

Vern
Robert C.
Bendeugene
Group Organizer
Bend, OR
Post #: 29
Wondering if this idea is going to bring some folks together or not. I'm pretty busy, and you could keep it at the interested three or invite everyone in the group with a meetup. I can schedule it, make Todd the person in charge of it and he'd have access to the behind the scenes tools to change/edit the meetup. The number of attendees can be set, waiting list yes or no, etcetera. Location and date can be left blank and Todd (or whoever wants to take this on, assuming you want to make it "official"), can take care of the details. You'd then have a forum here to post the photos you take and can solicit responses from those who don't go, or share your success stories. Just an idea, that's all. That's what the site does and was meant to do. One of the best things seemed to be the use of a golden reflector that a member brought. The other was backlight from the late afternoon sun coming in under some trees.

Here's a link to the portrait meetup we had back in the latter part of 2010. http://www.meetup.com...­