addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Bend Photographers Group Message Board Bend Photographers Group Discussion Forum › Taking Film Through Airport Security

Taking Film Through Airport Security

Joanne E.
user 11016592
Bend, OR
Post #: 1
I took a recent trip to the Grand Canyon and I was excited my film developed to see all the pictures I took. They did not come out at all! I guess the airport security x-ray machines are different than they used to be in the late 1980's when I took the same old film camera through airport securities to London, and back to US. Those pictures of London all came out.

I still have a film camera that I love to use. I am thinking of saving up to get a newer digital camera but they cost about $600.00 for the Nikon or Canon which I looked at today. In the meantime, I just like to take pictures with my old camera for a hobby. I like to take it on trips. How do get undeveloped film through security without ruining it?
Joanne E.
user 11016592
Bend, OR
Post #: 2
Okay, I found a solution to my problem for those that still love to use film cameras. If taking undeveloped film through airport x-ray systems of post 9/11, to request and hand-search of your luggage and remove all unprocessed film. The modern xray machines destroys negatives like in the pictures that I wasted money on only to be disappointed. I almost didn't bring my digital camera and boy am I glad that I did! I would not have any good pictures to share of the Grand Canyon.

The older x-ray machines didn't seem to be a problem because my photos taken through multiple airports in the late 80's were not affected.

Here is some information that I found online:
Kodak information for taking film through security