add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

East Bay Access/SQL Server Database Users Group Message Board › Message about April Access Users Group Meeting

Message about April Access Users Group Meeting

Dan S.
Group Organizer
Oakland, CA
Hi All,

I'm Dan Stern, your host for this week's Users Group Event. I love databases, and have been using MS-Access since version 2.0. Back in those days, you could talk to Microsoft as long as you wanted for free (except long distance charges were more then). I work on DB projects collaboratively, teach, and tutor.

Many people in our group have expressed interest in making the leap from MS-Access to SQL Server (the "older sibling" of MS-Access). SQL Server is a relational database similar to MS-Access in many ways, but much more stable, powerful, and secure. If you ever want to develop a Web-based database system or a database where many users are simultaneously updating data on the Microsoft Platform, SQL Server is the way to go in my opinion.

This week we'll spend some time demonstrating the "Upsize" process of converting an Access database to an SQL Server database. We'll show how to use MS-Access as a "front end" to an existing SQL database (using Access forms and reports linked to SQL tables). And with any leftover time we'll brainstorm on any projects that people would like to share with the group.

Here's the agenda:
6:00 pm - 6:10 pm -- Introductions
6:10 pm - 6:40 pm - demonstrating upsizing wizard and linking Access to SQL Server using and ADP (Access Data Project), ODBC Linked tables, and Pass-Through Queries.
6:40 pm - 7:30 pm -- open discussion on SQL and any other projects or topics brought by the group.

We won't have an Internet connection. However, I'll bring a couple of monitors if you'd like to connect your laptop.  And if anyone can bring a projector, please let me know.