add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Berlin Humanism Message Board › state of the union!:)

state of the union!:)

Group Organizer
Berlin, DE
Hello everyone! Hope all your prayers for the spring finally go through (soon)!

Here are some updates, and ideas.

1- We now have a discussion board, to continue our discussions online, plan events, and consolidate all the awesome links you guys keep posting! It's under the discussions button on the menu, called message board. Here's the direct link:­

2- We need suggestions for a book club. Anything related to humanism/science/philosophy goes. -I know I missed some keywords there, please feel free to add more and correct me anytime. To start off, here's the thread:­

3- I would like to propose a regular "philosophy learning" meetup. Either someone presents something they know, or we pick a topic and learn about it. This could go hand in hand with the book club, perhaps we can pick shorter texts/documentaries/videos/etc to watch and discuss together?

4- Currently according to group settings, anyone can suggest meetups, they get automatically announced to the rest of the group when at least three people say they're going. Alternately the organizers can announce it right away. Please suggest meetups, and if you want it announced right away, just let me/Reto know.

5- As suggested by some of you yesterday, we should have a second episode of the Universal Human nation (and make it a periodic event, so we can continue the process/journey). I would suggest starting a thread with all the projects/events ideas (and then create separate ones, for the ones you choose to start right away). Reto, could you post up the next version for, say, May?

6- We need a logo for the group! Any takers? No pay, lotsa appreciation!

Feel free to contact me any time, for clarifications, to offer help, and anything else that comes to your mind.

That's it for now! Have an awesome evening.

Balach || +49 151 6283 8884

Scott B.
user 76029402
Berlin, DE
Post #: 1
Hey Folks,

Below is my summary for the evenings happenings which I also posted on a 'trello' board called "Berlin Humanist Meet-up Projects" along with the results of our 'systems projects' group discussion. Please send your email address to me at if you would like to get invited to this private project management tool for people who attend our meet-ups and want to develop projects together.

The members of our group agreed to develop a list of our values and needs for comparison. I will also begin the process of updating and adding definitions to my 'list of universal human needs/inescapable experiences' on my Universal Humane Needs Assessment project already underway. There are also boards set up for the other groups idea topics.

Reto and Esther arrived right on time with a large bag of groceries and proceeded to create their sandwich masterpiece that we all enjoyed. Thank you! This made the event get going much quicker.

Most people arrived by 7:30 so we started eating then too. We started our meeting at about 8:15.

Everyone generously agreed to allow me to moderate the evening after I offered the suggestion up. Thanks! I think it's going to be important that we moderate our meetings to keep focussed and be effective in generating useful outcome while we have fun.

We started out by playing a game to introduce ourselves, our states of mind/feelings and values. The game was based on limiting the amount of words anyone could speak, like using twitter but with your voice. The idea being that everyone could stay more engaged in the conversation while we all gave input into establishing some open connections through voicing our perspectives.

In general I think the game worked pretty well but should be separate from the tonal humming and maybe a few less rounds as others have also suggested. If anyone wants to Start a Game Development 'list' or 'card', that could also be a group project...

Next, we broke out the post it notes. Everyone got 2 and wrote down 2 ideas of projects they thought we as a group can work on developing together. We then went around the room and had everyone explain their ideas. As people explained their ideas we grouped them into generally descriptive categories like, "systems projects (15)", "social giving/exchange (9)", "cultural monthly events (6)", "designing physical spaces", "spiritual" and others - see photos.

Before taking a 20min break, everyone got 3 popcorn seeds as votes to place on the categories to see which ideas we would focus on developing. After the break we broke into 2 groups to focus on the top 3 categories (votes noted in parentheses above)

I have made a Trello 'list' out of each category for everyone interested to join in. Feel free to make a new list out of any specific ideas.

We spent the rest of the evening working on specific ideas in 2 groups, the results for each can be documented on lists on this board.

Reto T.
user 64997832
Berlin, DE
Post #: 1
Hi everyone

Concerning point 5:
Actually when I initiated this meetup with the title "Universal Human Nation - Let's start it" my idea was on that evening to present the general idea of this worldwide campaign and to find some ideas how to put in motion this campaign in Berlin. I had something prepared for the meetup. As Scott also prepared himself to moderate the meetup and he was very enthusiastic about it, I thought best to let it flow and I was very interest how Scott would do it.
Of course the evening took another direction than what I had in mind. What of course is no problem at all, in the contrary. The evening gave space to different ideas and initiative instead of talking about one concrete proposal.
Nevertheless, I would like to organize a meetup to present this worldwide campaign "Universal Human Nation" to those who are interested and may want to start some activities in Berlin to promote it.
I find it very interesting to have meetups where we talk and plan different activities as Balach proposes it. I just would put it under another title to avoid confusion. Maybe to call it [i]"Humanist Initiatives meetup" or something like this.
So if you agree we can set up for May the continuance meetup "Humanist Initiatives" and I try to set up during April a meetup to present the "Universal Human Nation Campaign from Convergence of Cultures" to those who are interested.

Reto T.
user 64997832
Berlin, DE
Post #: 2
A proposal for a Logo: