addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Berlin Social Activities and Events Message Board › FYI, I'm hosting the Boat Party this Wednesday on the Spree

FYI, I'm hosting the Boat Party this Wednesday on the Spree

Group Organizer
Berlin, DE
Just a heads up that I will be hosting Charles Clawson's "Boat Party" this Wednesday on the Spree. If you haven't heard of it, its a long running (8 years) language exchange/social mixer that gets a good 100+ person crowd every week. It's listed in every Berlin "Lonely Planet" / "Rough Guide" etc guide book as a thing to do and all the backpackers know about it so there's always a good turnout

If you come early (7pm-ish) you can get matched to a language partner to brush up on your skills. But if you can later you can still enjoy the friendly crowd and the chance to hang out on a boat by the Oberbaumbrücke!

I've been doing this for some time now but I hesitated making an official Meetup event for it because I didn't want to be in "Meetup Host Mode" during it. But its slowly leaking out to Meetup members anyway so I decided to come clean :)

Anyway - it goes until midnight so come whenever's convenient for you. If I can't get you matched up with a language partner you can always just hang out with me and greet the newcomers, its really a fun time. Kind of like Meetup you recognize people over time and make new friends and even business contacts

Here is the official description for it from Charles:

The Boat Party* --in partnership with the Institute for Cultural Diplomacy (icd)--

The Boat Party is this Wednesday, April 3rd, on the ship Eastern Comfort with mixing cultures and languages and live music on the Spree. The weekly language/international party brings together people of all ages from everywhere and is known for its friendly ambience where it's easy to meet and talk with people in a variety of languages--I help with arranging language partners. Come early for that. The party starts at 7pm. Entry is 1 euro from 7 to 8:30pm. After 8:30 entry is two euros (one euro to pay the band).

The band is still to be announced for the concert this week, to begin around 10pm. Guest host this week is Chris from New York City, Organizer of the Group 'Berlin Social Activities and Events' as well as the Events Manager for the SAND English Journal here in Berlin.

In the late winter people gather before the fireplace, and it begins slowly like this. It's nice simply to find common experiences this time of year. Then the lounge slowly fills, and with a little luck there's the special atmosphere of many people from different places. Each week it's a chance to use your English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Russian, Polish and other languages in the mingling.

"The best thing about these events is the people they attract--"

The ship is a 5-10 minute walk from Warschauerstr. U-Bahn/S-Bahn/Tram down Warschauerstr. toward the Oberbaumbrücke. Just before the bridge turn right onto Mühlenstr., and the Eastern Comfort entrance is about 100 meters down the street (Mühlenstr. 73, Berlin, 10243) near the beginning of the Eastside Gallery. On the ship, the lounge is on the 2nd floor. See you there.

*as recommended by Stern, Tip & Zitty, Berliner Morgenpost and Lonely Planet among others