Christmas Light walk around Francis Park

  • December 20, 2013 · 7:00 PM
  • This location is shown only to members

Come check out holiday lighting displays while getting a little exercise on a 4 mile holiday lighting walk around Francis Park.    Afterwards we can adjourn for some food/drink at a local establishment, I am thinking Mexican.

Meet in front of well lit Christmas tree on northeast end of Francis Park.

It is at corner of Nottingham Ave and Childress Ave.

This walk will be in the dark, though there is usually adequate lighting on the streets.  Walk itself will probably take about 1.5 hours.   I bring a flashlight to occasionally check map, you might wish to as well.  If you have light colored/reflective clothing, it would be good to wear to enhance our visibility.

 

 




Join or login to comment.

  • suzanne s.

    what a great evening with no rain , great people and great decorations!

    December 21, 2013

  • Nada

    Great holiday walk and great folks - thanks for organizing, Walter!

    December 21, 2013

  • Walter B.

    The xmas lights were only outshone by the nice people who came along on this walk. Thanks to all who came and contributed to the good holiday cheer!

    2 · December 21, 2013

  • Bob

    Walter, great hike and fantastic company! I am now in the Christmas spirit!!! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, such tasty Margarita's. A special thanks to my dance partners including the modern day Fred Astaire, Robert E. Avis. The restaurant was so accommodating.

    December 21, 2013

  • Scott K.

    Merry Christmas! Great walk, thank you!

    December 21, 2013

  • Sandy

    Great walk, fun people, good conversation & tasty food at Pueblo Solis. Thanks Walter!

    December 21, 2013

  • Jill O

    Very enjoyable evening with a freindly, fun group. Tnanks for plannining Walter!

    December 21, 2013

  • Frank O.

    That was a wonderful walk Walter, thanks for leading to another STL discovery for me. I will definitely walk that route again in daylight to see those beautiful houses. Merry Christmas to all!

    December 20, 2013

  • John D.

    A good time with great people! Glad the rain quit just in time.

    December 20, 2013

  • Natalie

    Once again met lots of wonderful new people, saw some old friends and enjoyed beautiful Christmas lights and tasty salsa. NOt a bad way to kick off my holiday vacation. Thanks everyone!!

    December 20, 2013

  • Jan

    Thanks, Walter. Great walk and an even better restaurant choice! Merry Christmas all.

    December 20, 2013

  • Cindi N

    THANK YOU, Walter... GREAT walk. Great restaurant choice and you even kept the rain away !!!

    December 20, 2013

  • Al A.

    Great route for Christmas lights!

    December 20, 2013

  • John D.

    It let up again

    December 20, 2013

  • Kim Y.

    I will skip dinner! Hope to meet all of you soon

    December 20, 2013

  • anne

    Will meet at restaurant.

    1 · December 20, 2013

  • Al A.

    Changed quickly!

    December 20, 2013

  • John D.

    Im here and it's a downpour

    December 20, 2013

  • Al A.

    Looking at radar I'd say it's just about over for the time being.

    December 20, 2013

  • Al A.

    I'm here. It IS raining but not hard.

    December 20, 2013

  • Elizabeth

    Okay, I'm assuming everything is called off because it's also raining in West County pretty hard.

    December 20, 2013

  • Elizabeth

    Is everything still on?

    December 20, 2013

  • diane w o

    Raining in Kirkwood - I'm going to hold out for the restaurant! Please post if you decide to go early! Thanks.

    December 20, 2013

  • Walter B.

    Weather prediction for this evening appears to show 40% chance of showers. That means 60% chance of no rain! But you might want to bring an umbrella just in case.


    I intend to do the walk unless the showers turn in to a continuous downpour. If that happens, then we'll abort the walk early, and attempt to go to Mexican restaurant early.


    I've made a reservation for our group at Pueblo Solis at 5127 Hampton (corner of Delor and Hampton Ave) for 8:30 pm, so if you decide not to brave the weather you can always just come to the restaurant at that time.

    1 · December 20, 2013

  • Bob

    Hey! Maybe some of us ought to camp at St. Francis ParK. Do they have grills? I bet that would make the neighbors happy. If the cops would give us any trouble, we can tell them that the New Life Evangelistic Center was full, and the Rev. Larry Rice sent us.


    Walter I know you like winter camping, and we have a female member on this hike who was big winner with the Missouri Lottery. Her prize was a bunch of Duck Commander camping equipment. She is eager to try her tent out.

    Since there is electric to the Christmas Tree, we could plug in a Crock Pot or a boom box. Would this be considered Comfort Camping?

    2 · December 17, 2013

    • Jan

      Hey Bob, it'd be great to try out the new equipment. Who wants to share a sleeping bag?

      December 18, 2013

    • K

      There is a church at each of its 4 corners. There's already a park named Francis Slay near Arsenal/McCausland which complicates things more but Francis Park in St. Louis Hills was named after David R. Francis, President of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition. See more detail at http://en.wikipedia.o...­

      December 20, 2013

  • Christina

    Will this event go on regardless of the weather?

    December 20, 2013

    • John D.

      Bring an umbrella...

      December 20, 2013

  • Bob

    Hey! Some of you folks are slipping, or in the Christmas spirit. No one mentioned my blunder on the name of the park. I added Saint (ST.) Jan, you better look out, there may be some takers! (LOL)

    December 19, 2013

  • suzanne s.

    are we going thru the neighborhood with all the lights or just around the park??

    December 17, 2013

    • Walter B.

      I've scouted out a route that goes through neighborhoods around the park. The park itself is not lit, with the exception of Xmas tree

      December 17, 2013

  • Scott K.

    Is Murdoch & Prague on your map. Heard something about a computer house.

    December 17, 2013

    • Walter B.

      Thanks for the list! As a matter of fact, most of these addresses are along our route. I'm making a minor adjustment to see a couple more

      December 17, 2013

  • Scott K.

    Here's their list, via their Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/pages/St-Louis-Hills/367696117836
    --Block Winners
    6500 Loran
    6500 Murdoch
    6500 Neosho
    4700 Prague
    6200 Walsh
    --House Winners
    6311 Devonshire Ave
    6729 Devonshire Ave
    5405 Donovan Ave
    5820 Itaska St
    6521 Loran Ave
    6531 Loran Ave
    6231 Murdoch Ave
    6560 Neosho St
    4721 Prague Ave
    3 Willmore Rd
    78 Willmore Rd

    --Apartment Winners
    6677 Devonshire Ave
    6441 Nottingham Ave

    December 17, 2013

20 went

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Create your own Meetup Group

Get started Learn more
Allison

Meetup has allowed me to meet people I wouldn't have met naturally - they're totally different than me.

Allison, started Women's Adventure Travel

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy