addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
A former member
Post #: 1
Welcome to the question-poll to get members views, opinions, and advice on being a smart (=long term) vegetarian/vegan so your not unnecessarily harassed, unable to intelligently answer a question your bound to eventually get asked, and scared by ignorant meat eaters who think there are many ways you'll die if you don't consume animal products... I think this discussion will also be very helpful and will answer questions for those new to this different way of living.

Question #1: How do you get your protein? (probably the most popular question we all get asked and should be able and ready to answer wisely).
Question #2: What vegan/vegtarian vitamins / multi-vitamin do you take? Care to review/recommend any you have experience with? Are you satisfied with the product?
Question #2A: How do you get your vitamin B12?
Question #3: Favorite inspiring-educational "V" books, speeches, movies, and videos you found?

I know theres probably a lot more good questions we should cover, but I'm pressed on time and just want to get the ball rolling. So feel free to help expand and ask more questions.

Heres my answers to question #3: Favorite books: Hello my name is Vegan Freak, being vegan in a non-vegan world by Bob & Jenna Torres - a funny survival guide.
The Sunfood Diet Success System by David Wolfe -a unique wide ranging book on life~veganism, at times bizarre other times scientific, but always entertaining. Hes a charismatic, storytelling hustler, that Wolfe..
Sunfood Living by John McCabe - a titanic go to book from everything even remotely related to veganism..
Favorite speech: http://gary-tv.com/en...­ -a intelligent, funny, and charismatic speech on veganism, if your in need of inspiration..
Jill W.
user 2509993
New London, WI
Post #: 8
The protein question - my first reaction when I'm asked is to laugh. Americans typically eat 2 to 3 time the recommended amount of protein and it should not be a problem for vegans to get adequate protein without any real effort, unless you just eat potato chips all day. Anyway then I will mention beans (in soups/chili, tacos) and lentils and tofu/meat substitutes. But really we can get the protein we need just by eating enough calories for the day in veggies and whole grains.
I don't take a multivitamin. Read up on books be Dr. Neal Barnard.
For vitamin b-12 I drink milk substitutes- most are fortified with b12. I also loooove nutritional yeast (especially on my popcorn) and many brands are fortified with b12. If I feel I've not been getting these in I will occasionally take a b12 vitamin.
Oh, so many great books/movies. My all time favorite is Peaceable Kingdom about Farm Sanctuary - not as gory as many and is uplifting. I am looking forward to Blackfish and Vegucated and Ghosts in Our Machine. For books, I like The China Study and anything by Dr. Barnard.
A former member
Post #: 2
Kudos to Jill for stepping up to the plate, a courageous cat! I probably couldn't of answered question #1 one better myself, good job myth bust'in "the protein scare"... Yeah almond milk "for da win!"
"Thrive, the Vegan nutrition guide to optimal performance in sports and life by Brendan Brazier"
= "Harder, Better, Faster! "
(yeah, I totally just "let the cat out of the bag", now you know what Daft Punk was singing about... https://www.youtube.c...­ "makes us stronger!")
Check out our V league studs for examples:
http://frugivoremag.c...­
http://vancityveg.com...­
Wanna join 'em? :
http://veganbodybuild...­ -a helpful site my friend showed me.
Ladies, scared of aging? No fear joining the V club can't clear...
http://vancityveg.com...­
"The Vegan Diet as chronic disease prevention"- Kerrie K. Saunders, Ph.D. (a informative book)
"I now consider vegan-ism to be the ideal diet. A vegan diet- particularly one that is low in fat- will substantially reduce disease risks. Plus, we've seen no disadvantages from veganism. In every respect, vegans appear to enjoy equal or better health in comparison to both vegetarians and non-vegetarians" -Colin Campbell, Ph.D., (quote from Vegan the new ethics of eating by Erik Marcus.)
Lowell W.
user 19768951
Oshkosh, WI
Post #: 6
Love the discussion...

My thoughts- I get my protein in everything I eat. Like Jill mentioned, Americans eating nearly any diet will get all the protein needed, and it doesn't need to be animal protein...in fact plant efficiently provide all the proteins/amino acids we need. Dr. Barnard of the PCRM has stated that he has NEVER treated a case of protein deficiency in his patients. I have heard this mentioned by many other physicians as well. I like spinach in its leafy form and nuts and beans.

I take no vitamins as they (in pill form) are largely unavailable and pass through our GI system untouched. Talk to a porta potty cleaner sometime (the screens are very good at catching pills from the refuse when cleaned). I do like nutritional yeast (contains B12), especially on popcorn. Holy cow have you tried it?

I don't read much but I am really good at finding insightful articles on the internet. I often post links to them on the Oshkosh Area Vegan Facebook page. Have you seen it? I especially enjoy articles pertaining to athletes eating plant-based diets.

Love to listen to Dr. Barnard, and Dr. Richard Oppenlander's book/lectures Comfortably Unaware really hit me hard...

Another question I get is "Isn't it real expensive/inconvenient to eat vegan?" It is a reply/discussion that can get really deep...but isn't it really expensive to eat NON-vegan? It is awfully expensive and inconvenient if you are the animal(s) dying? And what is your NON-vegan lifestyle costing the environment? What are the healthcare costs to a society supporting your unhealthy appetite for meat? Yeah, go ahead and continue to conveniently eat at McDonalds...is that expensive? Get my drift here?

All-in-all, to answer these questions requires patience and tact...USUALLY, the question comes from someone who really doesnt want to hear the answer (just want to justify their reasoning as a non-vegatarian)...but on occasion, we can make a difference with informed answers and a smile.

Keep chatting "everyone"...
A former member
Post #: 3
Bam! Im digging the start of this Q & A disscusion! I like how you two "V vet's" farther down the path & with more experience are being helpful.

I read a informative essay on nutritional yeast, and its on my to buy list, but I haven't gotten to it yet, funny how you two both mentioned it. Must be good stuff..

No, I haven't seen the articles but I'm curious, and don't have a facebook account. Could you post some of the best ones in this thread if you have the time some day? I'm sure others would also be grateful...

Yes, thanks Lowell for reminding me about that, I have got that question before about the expense-inconvenience of the veg*an lifestyle. (I like that by the way, using the * as a, nice haha)
I think the phrase "Garbage in, garbage out" would sum up that question nicely. In the long run it'll bite you in the a$$, and be expen$ive in medical bills when your older. Which is also when most people aim to be retired and you finally have the time and freedom to do what you love in life, yet because of your arrogant~unhealthy diet~lifestyle, you trashed your body... so you can't enjoy your retirement (and do as much as you'd like to) as much as you would be able to if you followed a V lifestyle, and respected your valuable (maybe almost priceless even?) gift of a healthy body. Oh yeah that discussion can get deep, "fo sho" haha!

Vegans "gather around, yea, I need your focus, I know that it seems that the world is so hopeless, it's like wonderland!"
(Im a sucker for Gorillaz I'll admit, that was a quote from Welcome to the world of the plastic beach feat. Snoop hahaha! It seemed an appropriate time to bust out my remix, hopefully to get more of us to respond & share their opinions)