This event is being run through the Boston Expat and World Travelers Meetup (BEWT) group, by a BTB member, Teresa Au. I (Paul Gareau) will be giving a short talk about my cycling trip from Alaska to Argentina, and co-hosting a Q&A table afterwards. Hope to see you there!
Original Post: http://www.meetup.com/Boston-Expat-and-World-Travelers/events/102494432/
This month we are hosting a brand new event: Travel Buzz! It will be a bit more focused than our regular meet & mingle events, with presentations by guest speakers and breakout tables hosted by travel experts. Please read on for event details:
Travel Buzz: Ways to make your travel cheaper, bolder, and unforgettable!
Doors open: 6:30pm (note: Tickets will not be sold at the door. Only a few tickets left, so be sure to get yours now!)
Presentations start: 7:00pm
Hey, Boston travel enthusiasts! Wish you had more time or money to travel? Always wanted to travel the world and just weren't sure of the best way to start? Or perhaps you’ve already spent some time globetrotting and are always looking for new ways to find the best undiscovered destinations, killer street food, or deserted beaches? We know how you feel!
Come join a lively group of passionate travelers for a night of travel buzz, featuring short presentations by guest speakers:
- "Solo Travel" by Kim Scheltz
- "15,000 miles: Cycling from Alaska to Argentina" by Paul Gareau
- "Breaking into Traveling: Backpacking Around Europe" by Joshua Rottman
- "Working and Living Abroad" by Jocelyn Gonzalez
- "Optimizing Your Use of Technology to Plan Your Trip and Get the Best Deals" by Caitlin Condon
- "Cultural Immersion through Couchsurfing" by Kristof Redei
- All speakers will also discuss cost-cutting tricks and tips for staying healthy and safe
Breakout tables, hosted by travel experts, will include these topics:
- Bicycle Touring
- Off-the-Beaten-Path Traveling
- Solo Travel
- Planing Your Trip: Where to Start?
- Health and Safety
- Volunteering Abroad: Teaching, WWOOFing, Conservation Work, etc
- Extended Travel and Round-The-World Trips
- Alternative accommodation: homestays and couchsurfing
- Sustainable Travel
- Advanced Travel Tips for Experienced Backpackers
- ... and more!
RAFFLE AND FREE GIVEAWAYS
(incl Trip Advisor gear, a free 6-week foreign-language class from Boston Language Institute, copies of Nomadic Matt's book on budget travel, a Steripen, and other great prizes!) 1 raffle ticket included w/ entrance fee.
This event is open to anyone interested in world travel, whether you're a novice or an experienced traveler.
All proceeds will be donated to Shanker Foundation and Cultural Survival, two grassroots, non-profit organizations dedicated to educating communities and advocating for under-represented populations.
Event format: After an hour of short presentations, we'll have breakout tables with different topics. Each table will be hosted by travel buffs, ready to share their experiences, provide resource lists and tip sheets, and answer your questions! We're also looking forward to hearing about your travel experiences (or wishlists) and learning from you.
You can buy your ticket here, or at our eventbrite site http://travelbuzz.eventbrite.com (price is the same: $12).
- How do I get there, and is there parking? The Asgard is located on the 1 Bus line, and a short 5-10 min walk from Central Square T-station on the Red Line. Street parking is available, and validated parking in the University Park/Hotel garage behind the Asgard on Green Street is available for $5.
- Will food or drinks be provided? The Asgard serves delicious food and drinks from around the world, which will be available for purchase during Travel Buzz.
- Do I need to print a ticket? No. We try to save everyone paper! Just bring your ID, and we'll have your name on the guest list.
- Will you sell tickets at the door? Nope. Tickets are only available online and in advance at the monthly Boston Expat and World Travelers meetup.
- Is there an age requirement? Our venue requires that you must be 21 years of age or older to attend.
- Do you have a refund policy? If your plans change and you cannot make it to the event, please send us a message on meetup.com (Subject: refund request) as soon as possible. We will issue you a refund within two weeks. Please let us know as soon as you can if you are unable to attend, since attendance is limited and we can make your ticket available to someone else. No refunds will be issued after February 13.
- Do you arrange tours or group travel? Nope! We promote independent travel and are not affiliated with any tour companies or other commercial organizations.
- What does my ticket purchase go toward? Proceeds from ticket sales will be used to cover the cost of the event.
- What if I have other questions? Send us a message or tweet at one of our Twitter-crazy co-organizers. We'll answer your questions to the best of our ability.