Cycling Boston & Further Afield Message Board › I Heart NH Loop Planning

I Heart NH Loop Planning

A former member
Hi guys,

Thanks for getting back to me - right now it sounds like we have 5 definites with 3 people on the fence about days 3 and 4. Two people still haven't gotten back to me yet, so hopefully I'll hear from them soon. Sorry, I haven't had a chance to respond to people individually, but I'll try to answer all the questions here.

This trip is much more casual and "participant-driven" than the other tours I've posted. This means a few things...

• Everyone will pay as they go, for food and lodging. If you can't do days 3-4 it's no big deal - you don't pay for those. If you go back to Conway the second day, it will be 10 miles from where we branch off and about 4 miles shorter than to Crawford Notch.
  • We can decide if we want to stay in the hostel or camp on Friday night, or if you want to drive up early on Saturday, that's fine too. We just have to agree on a place to meet and a time to set off (9AM?).
  • The last night (Tuesday) everyone is on their own. Some might want to get back home, others might have to wait for a bus on Wednesday, etc..
  • "Group" gear will come from the group itself, this includes tools, first aid and cooking gear. We'll have to talk about who will provide what and how to divvy everything up.

There are some ways we can get creative with this trip too - we can leave our gear in Lincoln (in someone's car or at the campground) and ride with unloaded bikes over the pass. Someone would need to volunteer to make the run back to pick everything up. We could also consider staying in hotels in Lincoln and Gorham and caching all the camping gear at Crawford Notch - again, someone would need to volunteer their car.

I really want to stress that this is NOT an easy route. If you're not already putting some decent miles in on your bike you'll want to start soon. I'm cycling to work twice a week now, it's about 28 miles per day. I'll be working up to 3 days a week and will try to get a couple long weekend rides in. Try to shoot for 100 miles a week at a minimum and you should be OK. The Kancamagus Pass is known for being one of the most challenging climbs in the area, and we'll be doing it after three days of "smaller" climbs and potentially with our gear on our bikes! Don't underestimate this!

You'll also want to make sure your bike is in good shape. Check your tires and make sure your cables and chain are in good condition. Bring a patch kit, pump and a spare tube. Make sure everything that needs grease or oil has it. Everyone must wear a helmet during this trip, gloves are highly recommended. Remember that when you joined meetup.com you agreed that you would not hold meetup.com or event organizers liable for anything that might go wrong during an event.

This message will appear on our discussion board and I think it will be easier if everyone responds there. ­http://www.meetup.com...­ Also, if people want to meet to make these arrangements easier I propose May 21.

Thanks!

Paul
A former member
Post #: 6
day 1 to gorham/white birches camping 47.6
day 2 to crawford notch/dry river campground 38.9
day 3 to lincoln/maple haven resort 38
day 4 to conway 37.4
Amal
user 2949662
Arlington, MA
Post #: 1
Hi Paul,
The return to Conway on the 2nd day (via RT16) sounds like a reasonable option. I can certainly keep myself entertained for the last 10 miles. Alternatively, if anyone is interested in spotting cars at the half-way point (Crawford Notch) that would work, too. I'm planning to drive up Saturday morning and returning to Arlington on Sunday.
Diane O'Callaghan
user 14361912
Concord, NH
Paul et al,

I am going to carry minimal gear. I will buy sandwiches, etc enroute. I plan to do all 4 days and will drive up from Concord, NH to Conway on Saturday morning. 9 am meet time works. Just need a mutually agreed upon location in Conway. I have a Trek Touring bike and look forward to this challenge.

Diane

Mark Gabrenya
user 88365312
Lexington, MA
Post #: 2
Paul,
Thanks for the update. I'll probably come up Friday night so will need to know where others are staying or I'll make my own plans. Depending on my schedule I may go to Crawford Notch and spend the night with the group and then go back to Conway on Monday morning. Just to avoid the Kanc (and get back to work). I have all the necessary gear from backpacking and previous short bicycle tours.
Mark
Mag in NH
user 80052232
Cambridge, MA
Hi everyone,

I've tried to get Mon & Tues off from work, but payroll has to be approved and my backup already has scheduled the days off. Problem is, he is the boss so I really am stuck. Maybe his plans will fall thru...

I have a jetboil stove with a cup for boiling water and a small pot for a side dish. I can bring those. I think I'll be able to put in the recommended miles as I will be commuting to work twice a week plus weekend rides.

Looking forward to meeting you all and hope to work in some longer tours.

Mag

A former member
Post #: 7
Paul et al,

I am going to carry minimal gear. I will buy sandwiches, etc enroute. I plan to do all 4 days and will drive up from Concord, NH to Conway on Saturday morning. 9 am meet time works. Just need a mutually agreed upon location in Conway. I have a Trek Touring bike and look forward to this challenge.

Diane

Just want to point out that I'm hoping to be on the road at 9AM, so you'll want to meet us about 30-60 minutes before. Thx.
A former member
Post #: 8
Hi all.

Quick update. I'm working with the following info:
paul 3 nights, starting saturday
amal 2 ""
peter bowden 3
steve 0
mark gabrenya 2
diane o'callaghan 3
mag in nh 1

Steve hasn't confirmed that he'll be coming, so I'm not able to make reservations for him.

FRIDAY NIGHT
Please make your own reservations at the White Mountains Hostel if you're interested in staying there. http://www.whitemount...­. We'll LEAVE from there at 9AM on Saturday morning, June 1st. Please be ready to ride at 9AM sharp! Please also talk to them about parking if you plan to drive up. Remember, Concord Coachlines is an option and has a stop less than a mile from there. They leave from South Station.

SATURDAY NIGHT
So far I've made reservations for 6 at the White Birches Campground in Gorham for Saturday night. We have two adjacent sites that will cost $6 per person.

SUNDAY NIGHT
Amal is tentative for Sunday night - four of us are definites. There are two adjacent campgrounds - Dry River and Crawford Notch campground. I don't think reservations will be necessary, since at the end of a holiday weekend, they're not likely to be full. Dry River campground only allows two tents per site -we're looking at about $12 per person there. At Crawford notch Campground we can put up to four people on a site and each site costs $30.

MONDAY NIGHT
Again reservations probably won't be necessary. We'll camp at Maple Haven Campground outside of Lincoln. Sites cost $20-$25 for the night, I'm not able to find a maximum occupancy on their site and I can't contact them by phone. Only three of us will be staying there though, so one site should be OK.

That's all for now! Let me know if you have any questions!
Paul
Amal
user 2949662
Arlington, MA
Post #: 2
Hi Paul
I just received my new bike rack and 2 panniers! I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but they look pretty sturdy and have a few pockets. They are a bit on the smaller size, but they seem to fit my bike just right. I'm excited, so thanks for the tip!

The only problem is that I'm still not sure that I can fit my camping gear on my bike with all the extra stuff that we'll need (food/etc). So, I'm considering booking a motel in Gorham on Saturday night and meeting all of you again in the morning. It might be the easiest for me at this point. I hope this is okay and that it won't hurt our group dynamics. I'm still planning to return home on Sunday.
A former member
Post #: 9
Hi Paul
I just received my new bike rack and 2 panniers! I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but they look pretty sturdy and have a few pockets. They are a bit on the smaller size, but they seem to fit my bike just right. I'm excited, so thanks for the tip!

The only problem is that I'm still not sure that I can fit my camping gear on my bike with all the extra stuff that we'll need (food/etc). So, I'm considering booking a motel in Gorham on Saturday night and meeting all of you again in the morning. It might be the easiest for me at this point. I hope this is okay and that it won't hurt our group dynamics. I'm still planning to return home on Sunday.

Hi Amal. Great! Glad the stuff looks good. A normal packing strategy is to put the tent and sleeping bag on the back rack with a bungee or two, sleeping pad, clothes, food and kitchen in the panniers. You can also carry some stuff in a small backpack if that's not uncomfortable for you.

For Saturday night, the campground has cabins available if you want to check that out. Maybe someone would want to split one with you. http://www.whitebirch...­