Big Data Gurus Message Board › lets make some hackathon decisions

lets make some hackathon decisions

Sujee M.
user 3825123
Group Organizer
San Francisco, CA
Hi guys

I have got a lot of enthusiastic response and interest for the hadoop hackathon ! :-)

Now I'd like your feedback on some key decisions:

1) Audience : both BEGINNERS and EXPERIENCED hadoop developers are welcome

2) if one wants to attend hackathon and be productive,  it is good idea to install hadoop before hand on your laptop  (or set it up on EC2).
If you REALLY need help installing hadoop on your laptop,  I am sure we can help out.   But I'd like to keep this to minimum

3) I'd prefer to host the hackathon on a WEEKEND day.   Say 11am - 4pm.
this gives us lot of time for hackathon.  And people can trickle in and out as they choose.

4) HOSTING:
We need a place to gather and some sponsorship to cover food / snacks / drinks 
I have a couple gracious offers to host so far.

A) we can meet at hacker dojo, Mountain View.  For this, we need to cover the food expenses.   How about a small fee ($10 / person) ?
B) another offer includes location + food (I need to verify  if this pans out)
C) I am open to other hosting offers... if your company / organization can host this please let me know.

5) Finally the DATE:
considering ThanksGiving is fast approaching, how about  weekend of DECEMBER 1 or 2 ?

6) Call for volunteers
We need experienced people to help / work with other people:
People Skills :   be nice,  be patience, don't whine :-)
Technical skills :  any big data technology (Hadoop, mapreduce, hbase, cassandra, hive, pig ...)

Please chime in with your ideas

thanks very much

Sujee Maniyam
A former member
Post #: 31
Sujee,

Currently it appears that Hacker Dojo is available Dec 1,2 according to events.hackerdojo.com.

You will need to find a HD member to act as host and request event-approval from the HD-events-team.

Also, be aware that max capacity of a Meetup at HD is 45 people.

Finally, if you want to delay the event until January, Hacker Dojo will be at a bigger better location which probably supports a larger Meetup size:

http://www.hackerdojo...­

-- Dan