Big Data Gurus Message Board › Hadoop Hackthon instructions

Hadoop Hackthon instructions

Sujee M.
user 3825123
Group Organizer
San Francisco, CA
Hello Hackathon attendees,
I look forward to seeing you guys on Jan 20th -- this Sunday at Hacker Dojo.
here are a few things to know:

[[ General ]] :

- if you are not a member of Hacker Dojo there is a suggested donation ($10 I think)

- please follow Dojo parking instructions- if you have RSVPd  'yes' and can't make it, please update your status.  We have people on waiting list that may use it.

- if you are on waiting list, I'd encourage you to come in anyway.  We will try to accommodate you

- if you can volunteer, please let me know

[[ What to bring ]]:

Please note, this is not a 'sit & watch' type of event.  You are expected to work on hadoop on your laptop.  We will have hadoop 'experts' volunteering through out.  To get the most out of this event, please come with your hadoop environment setup.   If you come with a 'blank' laptop and try to download / install hadoop during the hackathon, you will waste valuable time.
** You do NOT need to know hadoop to participate in this hackathon;  We will help you out with that.  How ever, please come with your development environment setup (see below) **

- so bring your laptop

- also bring a multi-outlet power strip  (There is never enough outlets)

- things to install on your laptop:JDK 1.6x, Eclipse (or your fav IDE),  git,  ruby & python (to run scripts ..etc) and hadoop distro (see below)

[[ Hadoop on a Laptop ]] 
- You can run hadoop on your laptop;  'single node' hadoop runs readily on Linux or Mac laptop (Windows might need a little more work ; use a VM instead)See the excellent how to by Michael Noll : http://www.michael-no...­

- Or you can download virtual machines with hadoop pre-installed from major vendors.  Cloudera,  Horton Works, MapR all provide self-contained VMs with their hadoop distributions.Please download and install these VMs *before* coming.

[[ Hadoop Clusters on EC2: ]]

- do you want to work on a 'real' hadoop cluster that is running on EC2?  Then contact Paul Baclace (paul.baclace@gmail.com).  He can provide a cluster (as in few nodes!) on EC2.  Hackathon price is $42 
I have used Paul's clusters for training, and I heartily recommend them. They work really well.  They need 'zero setup' on your end.  All you need is a browser and ssh client to access the cluster.You can even partner with some body else to share the cluster cost.

- You can also spin up hadoop cluster on EC2 using Apache Whirr.  I can help you with this during the hackathon

[[ Code & Data for Hadoop Hackathon ]]:

We will use this github repository : https://github.com/su...­

I will send out another notice, when I have uploaded materials to this repo.

[[ And Finally FOOD ]]:

FREE Food and drinks are provided, so you can keep hacking!  Thanks to the generosity of folks at Samsung R&D Lab in San Jose.

(Food right now is Pizza + drinks + snacks ; if you have any creative ideas, let me know)

That is it for now.  See you guys then

Sujee Maniyam
Sachin N.
user 13361447
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 1
>>[[ Code & Data for Hadoop Hackathon ]]:
>>I will send out another notice, when I have uploaded materials to this repo.
I will relate some experiences with earlier Hackathon outside of HackerDoJo setup. It took long for folks to get on speed with Hadoop, VM images all that stuff. Towards late afternoon even the presenter was exhausted solving setup problems. Not much of Hackathon happened and folks left around 6 PM on Saturday evening. This is on a Sunday so time is even more limited. Do we have a achievable goal for this hackathon ? Brief idea what we are planning for the hackathon will be appreciated with time limits. Thanks in advance.