Big Data Gurus Message Board › Hackathon wrap-up and feedback

Hackathon wrap-up and feedback

Sujee M.
user 3825123
Group Organizer
San Francisco, CA
Hello all

We had a good first hackathon last Sunday.  About 20 people showed up.  And we had few volunteers on hand to help out.Thanks every one for attending.   Thanks our Dojo member for hosting.  And big thanks to Samsung labs in San Jose for sponsoring food!

All attendees,  could you please email me back your feedback & thoughts?

Here are some of my take aways:
- The goal of this hackathon was to get you up and running with a hadoop environment, so you can self learn. We have accomplished that.

- One thing I noticed was,  few people had  trouble installing hadoop natively on laptops.  There were trivial issues like ssh connectivity ...etc.  How ever they took up valuable time to debug and resolve.So for the future hackathons, I'd like to use Hadoop VMs.  VMs have every thing pre-bundled and setup and would be very easy to use.

- Going forward, the hackathons will be 'structured'.  So we will have a hackathons focused on 'Hive & Pig'  or "NOSQL Hbase and Cassandra" ..etcI feel this will help you get most out of it.

- I also like to keep the hackathons open for Hadoop newbies.  So I am going to have multiple tracks. One would be the 'beginner' track.  And other will be what ever the theme of the hackathon is

- Hacker Dojo was a great place to host hackathons.  Dojo is moving to another better building.  I look forward to hosting more hackathons at new Dojo.

So what do you guys think?

Cheers
Sujee Maniyam
Earl B.
user 10852000
San Bruno, CA
Post #: 10
So what do you guys think?

Given that Big Data market is expected to grow substantially in the next few years. It makes sense for large companies to provide free trail services to new developers. A VM setup with trail accounts to Amazon, etc. would be good to have for the next hackathon as well.
A former member
Post #: 1
Great event - it went well for me. Wish I could have stayed after 1pm.

I like the idea of a theme for each hackathon.

unning multiple tracks is hard without help, so we'll need more planning and volunteers.

Installs are always time consuming - maybe we can organize an occasional installfest just focused on that topic for beginners, otherwise VM's are the way to go.

It was my first visit to the Hacker Dojo, nice place, and worked well for this event.

Thanks for organizing this one.