add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Big Data Jobs Message Board › I’m on the verge of something...

I’m on the verge of something...

A former member
Post #: 5
Hi all,

Firstly many thanks for joining, I’m really happy with response so far! I would like to take this moment to say I will be arranging a Meetup ASAP, hopefully in June but it’s still very much in “plan” and I would like your input into how we can make this work. Part of this plan is to put a topic out there for everyone to discuss. No prizes here for guessing what it is! It is of course.. Recruitment! ;-)

Having attended the last two events at Data Science and BD Community, whilst also being a regular attendee over the past few months at Big Data, I’ve seen a strong case for a separate Meetup group for networking/recruitment and judging by the response so far, so have you! Hilary Mason asked a question to the audience yesterday at the BD Community event which was really interesting. ‘’How many in the room were Data Scientists?” She then asked “How many of those were Data Scientists previously’’. We went from about 30 in a room of 250 people, down to just 1! Hilary also asked “How many in the room are either looking to get into BD or looking to hire BD professionals” and the vast majority of the remaining people raised hands. Nick Halstead CEO of Datasift also said “ You tell a recruiter you need a Data Scientist and they say, urmm what’s that!”

This is obviously new to us all and an area that needs tackling. I am hoping this Meetup group is just a start to get us talking about it but then we can put a plan in place to help all the above.

My 3 questions are:

• How can we keep the Big Data community growing but not becoming too commercial, thus losing the very people that make it what it is? (Our competitors are coming)
• How can we satisfy the void between the amount of professionals in Big Data/ Data Science now and in the future?
• How are the States tackling this problem or do they have it?

Thanks in advance for your response, I know you’ve been asked a lot of questions this week in particular but I would be very grateful!

Nathan Laidlaw