Important Updates have been made to this event - Please Read Carefully
Everyone knows the largest group of cherry blossom trees are found around the Tidal Basin near the Jefferson Memorial. However, there are several lesser known groves located around the city. This bike ride offers an opportunity to view some of these hidden blossoms and (hopefully) avoid the bus loads of tourists.
Our route starts on the Virginia Shore across from the Tidal Basin and follows popular Rock Creek Park Trails and Capital Crescent Trail out to the Cherry Blossom grove located in the Kenwood neighborhood. From here, we'll take the back streets of Bethesda and Northwest Washington's exclusive neighborhoods over to Embassy Row. We'll ride past the Embassy of Japan, which has a small collection of trees, and then follow the Rock Creek Trail down to the main blossom grove located around the Tidal Basin and West Potomac Park. We'll then cross back over the Potomac River for a final grand view of the blossoms from the Virginia Shore.
Ride Type: Casual
Distance: 30 - 25 miles (approx)
Route: Is being finalized now
Surface: Paved trails and city streets
Terrain: Flat to hilly
Avg Pace: 12 mph
Riding Time: 2.5 - 3 hours
Things to see: Cherry blossoms! Embassies
Bike Type: Any
Due to the (very) large turnout for this ride, a number of changes are being put into effect to make things more manageable, safe, and enjoyable.
1) We will devide into at least 6 (more if necessary) smaller groups, with approximately 16 - 18 cyclists per group.
2) Each group will have an assigned event host/ride leader as well as a ride sweeper.
3) Each group will start at a different time, starting at 11:30 am, with 3 - 5 minute intervals between each group.
4) Unlike previous rides, all groups are asked to ride at the same average pace (12 mph) so that members within a group may stay together and groups can maintain some separation.
When & Where
Location: See link at top of the page
Arrival & Gear Up: 11:00 AM
Note: This is the LATEST you should arrive! Allow at least 15 minutes after arrival to gear up and prep your bike. DO NOT ARRIVE AT 11:30 expecting people to wait for you. You will be left behind!
Ride Briefing: 11:15 AM This is when/where we will assemble in the grass field and you will be assigned to your ride group.
Start Pedaling: 11:30 AM
We are implementing a staggered start for this ride where groups will leave with 3 - 5 minutes of separation between them. The first group will roll out at 11:30.; the last group will leave at approximately 12 noon. DO NOT USE THIS AS AN EXCUSE TO ARRIVE LATE!!!
What to Bring
- Helmet - Mandatory!
- Liquids - And plenty of them!
- Photo ID
- Money - Cash or credit card for food or emergency
- Bicycle Emergency Kit - (cash, mini tool, inner tube, CO2 cartridge or hand pump, etc.)
- Bike lock
- Camera - It's always nice to have pictures to remind us of the fun we have!
After the Ride
Enjoy refreshing drinks, nourishment, and comaradarie at Rustico Restaurant in Alexandria. Rustico is located 1.1 miles south of Washington Sailing Marina on Slaters Lane in Alexandria. Plan on meeting in the bar/patio area between 3:30 - 4:00 pm.
A Few Other Things
- Please review the group's No Show Policy
- If you RSVP "yes" and you are unable to attend due to unexpected circumstances, please call or text the event host.
- If you are running late, please call or text the event hosts w/ your ETA!
- No go if conditions are bad. This includes rain, wet roads, tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards, earthquakes, locusts, or cats & dogs falling out of the sky.
As always, if you have any questions, you may email the organizer(s) for the event or post your question as a comment. The cell numbers for the event organizers will be emailed to you the day before the event.