align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Tue Eve King Farm Ride: Pedal to the Parks

Join us for this weekly after-work ramble through Rockville. On June 10th we'll ride a fun 10-mile loop and visit 10 charming and unique city parks.

The Details

Every Tuesday at 6:30 pm during the months of June, July, and August, the Rockville Bike Advisory Committee hosts an after-work ride starting from the King Farm neighborhood. The routes vary each week, but the rides are always casual with distances ranging from about 8 to 12 miles. We typically finish before sunset.

On Tue, June 10, we'll journey about 10 miles along shared-use paths and bike-friendly streets as we pass through 10 bucolic city parks, including one dedicated to the late poet and peace activist Mattie Stepanek (shown below).

The ride starts at the King Farm Farmstead Park (click the location link at the top of this meetup page for a Google map/directions). We'll ramble through the neighborhood, hop on the Carl Henn Millennium Trail, and head through town center in our quest for scenic local parks. We'll view eclectic public art and historic landmarks as we cruise along meandering bike paths, over bridges, through hidden tunnels, and past picturesque streams and ponds.

Below is a map of the anticipated route, including a list of the parks we'll see:

Click HERE for a larger version of the map. (Copies will also be distributed at the ride, along with ride leader contact information.)

We hope you'll join us!  :)


Please remember:

• Helmets are required for all riders on every ride.

• We strongly recommend you also bring a water bottle, cell phone, ID card, and cash or credit card for emergencies.

• We ride at the pace of the slowest rider. No one is left behind.

• Rain at the start time cancels a ride. Wet pavement does not.

• Smiles are mandatory. We dare you not to have a great time!  :)

Join or login to comment.

  • Komkit L.

    Thank you Carl & Nancy. Great ride great group. Too bad no ice cream.

    1 · June 11, 2014

    • Carl

      Tempting as it was to stop for a treat, the goal was to get you all back before sunset. There will be future ice cream rides. Stay tuned... :)

      June 11, 2014

  • Tracy

    Great and beautiful ride throughout all the wonderful romantic parks Rockville has to offer. (Barf in the street aside)

    1 · June 11, 2014

  • Carl

    Thanks to everyone for coming out last night. The threat of thunderboomers... steep hills... even the sting of fire ants couldn't stop this intrepid group. It was a joy leading you, and special thanks to Nancy for sweeping. See you all again soon!

    June 11, 2014

  • Sasha

    Fun and easy ride except for the steep hills. **note to self don't use single speed bike on the Millennium trail** Looking forward to future rides!

    June 11, 2014

    • Carl

      LOL. Yeah, we got us some hills here in Rockville. This ain't Kansas, Toto. That said, next week's route (­) is mostly flat. Your single will be right at home. :)

      June 11, 2014


    Great ride Carl and Nancy! Awesome group of people to share your hobby with!!:)

    June 10, 2014

  • Stella G.

    Way cool. Thanks Carl and Nancy!

    June 10, 2014

  • Susan

    Great ride. Loved seeing the parks and enjoying good company. Thanks, Carl!

    June 10, 2014

  • Frank P.

    Good fun exploring the byways of Rockville.

    June 10, 2014

  • Carl

    Hello again, folks. Radar looks favorable. As of now, THE RIDE IS ON. Will make a final assessment shortly before our departure time...

    June 10, 2014

  • Carl

    Hello, parks pedalers. Current forecast calls for a 30% chance of rain this evening. The way I see it, that means there's a 70% chance it WON'T rain during our ride. We'll watch the radar and skies and make a go/no-go decision as the start time draws nearer. Please keep an eye on your email and this meetup page for updates. Hope to see you all at 6:30!

    June 10, 2014

  • Carol S.

    Sorry I can't make this one but hope to be back in the saddle with you shortly.

    June 9, 2014

17 went

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy