Birmingham Spanish Speakers Meet Up Message Board The Birmingham Spanish Language Meetup Group Discussion Forum › Uruguayans or other South Americans in and around Birmingham?

Uruguayans or other South Americans in and around Birmingham?

Christopher
user 115399852
Lichfield, GB
Post #: 1
Hi!
Are there any Uruguayans or South Americans in this area? I am British but currently live with my Uruguayan wife and son in Montevideo. We are considering moving to Lichfield where my parents live. A big step for my wife as she has never lived away from Uruguay or her family there. It would be good to know if there are groups/meet ups for her to meet other Spanish speakers who are maybe in the same situation. She may well feel isolated at first being immersed in an English speaking environment and a quite different culture. She is however fluent in English.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thanks
Chris
Andy W.
user 13148890
Shirley, GB
Post #: 8
Hi,
that's a bit ironic. My wife and I are British, but we're considering emigrating to Uruguay when I retire. However, my Spanish teacher and her husband are Argentinian and live in Shirley. I don't know if they're members of this group. I will try to find out.
Cheers
Andy
Christopher
user 115399852
Lichfield, GB
Post #: 2
that is funny! which part were you thinking of moving to?
Cheers
Chris
Andy W.
user 13148890
Shirley, GB
Post #: 9
That is, as yet, undecided. All the information I have on Uruguay is second hand, having not been there myself. Having lived all my life inland in Britain, I want to retire to the coast. From what I've read/been told, Colonia is very nice. I've also seen house ads for Ciudad de la costa, which has the advantage of being close to the capital. Punta del Este sounds a bit touristy.

I don't want to live in a colony of ex-pat Brits or Americans. I believe that you have to integrate into the community for it to work, long term.

Cheers
Andy
Andy W.
user 13148890
Shirley, GB
Post #: 10
Hi Chris,
I have spoken to my Spanish teacher. When I told her of your situation she said she would love to meet up with your wife. She's not currently a member of this group, but I think she's considering joining.

Cheers
Andy