July 28, 2013 · 11:00 AM
This location is shown only to members
Join us for a five mile walk through the beautiful Warwickshire countryside, crossing the River Arrow, passing a 700 year old church, the site of a former castle and of a 12th century priory.
Meet in the Pool Road car park B80 7QU, parking is free. The 400 year old Barley Mow pub is a very popular eating place for those who might wish to visit there after the walk.
The village of Studley is built on the old Roman Ryknild Street, which became the main turnpike into Birmingham in 1721. Needle making became the main occupation in Studley from the early 17th century when a group of Hugenot refugees from France settled in the area. Their expertise helped the local industry develop and soon Studley was one of the largest producers of needles in Britain and known worldwide. By the end of the 19th century industrial techniques had taken over and there were over 3000 workers involved in the needle making business. Since then the industry has declined although needles continue to be made in some of the local factories. It's this industry we can thank for Studley having more public houses than most villages to supply refreshment to the factory workers.