The Bloomington Secular Network - http://bloomingtonsecularnetwork.com/ - is a network (duh) of several local groups in Bloomington. Each group has the goal to promote Secularism and establish a Secular community and each group takes a slightly different approach and/or has a slightly different focus.
This meetup page will be updated with all events of every group so if you join, this will be your one-stop-shop for just about all secular activities in Bloomington!
During the warmer seasons of the year, we also have a table at the Bloomington Farmer's Market. Come by to say hi and chat or get involved and help us run the table if you have time! Check out the details in the event description.
And here are the groups:
Secular Parents of Bloomington
Strictly speaking, this isn't yet a group. It's just an idea for a group we'd like to establish and grow in Bloomington. If you are a secular parent in Bloomington looking for like minded parents then please contact Hauke for more information.
We have set up a way for members to donate to this meetup. The meetup website calls this "membership dues" but this is misleading. We are simply asking for donations if you are able to give something. Membership, events and meetings are in no way restricted if you do not donate.
Having said that, donations would enable us (or at least make it easier) to organize all kinds of awesome things! For example, a few weeks ago we had a panel discussion on the subject "Are Religion and Science Compatible?" It filled the room and was a big success. It also came with a $1500 price tag for the catering and a whole lot of hours put in by volunteers. With donations, we could organize this kind of event more cost effectively and as a result more often.
Other examples of what could be paid with donations:
- Costs of running the meetup page
- Our table at the Bloomington Farmer's Market
- Fun activities like potlucks, barbecues, day trips or anything else we can think up!
- Creating promotional material for our group
- Food and drink at our Atheist Happy Hours!
- Food and drink and/or compensation for organizers of events
- Supporting charitable causes of our choosing (e.g. local food banks, Red Cross, etc.) as a group instead of individually to dispel the notion that we atheists are baby eating Satan worshippers ;)
You can pay online here. Once you sign up for dues, you will be automatically billed each month. You will always be reminded before each charge, and you can cancel your dues at any time.