Bloomington's Third Thursdays Book Club Message Board › The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

Melissa L.
Mellew
Bloomington, IN
Post #: 1
Hi Everyone.
When ATSS (A Thousand Splendid Suns) came out I heard it was really good. So, I am looking forward to reading it when I get a copy from Janie but I don’t know much about it. Soon following, the Kite Runner was being passed around my school so I read it. I would give this book close to 4 stars (out of 5). The reason is because I found it upsetting at least and maybe even disturbing. I am sure the author intended it that way. The movie goes right along with the book, as good as a movie can, and my husband and I watched it sometime later and he had the same reaction. So, they were able to capture the essence of the atrocities from the book in the movie. I guess I am not good with that kind of stuff.
Kelly and others what do you think of the movie? - Melissa
Kelly
Kelly_Dawg
Bloomington, IN
Post #: 4
The Kite Runner movie was good. You have to realize that there is going to be some bad stuff in the movie, based on the plot description. When the first disturbing thing happens (I don't want to spoil the movie by saying what it actually is), my husband walked out of the room. He did eventually come back into the room to finish watching the movie.
laura b.
user 88314152
Group Organizer
Bloomington, IN
I watched the movie, The Kite Runner, very early this morning. The movie is extremely well made. Yes, you do need to understand that the movie includes painful events. I wasn''t prepared for the level of pain (if you can prepare yourself). The story revolves around the evolution of a friendship between two boys. It wasn't the best way to start my day. I certainly understand why Kelly's husband walked out.
Carrie T.
user 106311932
Bloomington, IN
Agreed--extremely painful. I also am not good with this kind of "stuff" but realize if I learn maybe I can teach/help....I walk out of theaters all the time in icky movie scenes. lol. Or plug my ears and close my eyes....I only read this book in my previous book club--did not see the movie.